What should a completely new DJ buy and/or do to get better?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What should a completely new DJ buy and/or do to get better?

I haven't really explored being a DJ at all yet, but I think it's something I would really love to do. I've played a lot of different instruments and I absolutely adore music. I love listening to the beats behind music and I love listening to DJs do their thing.

What I want to know is what I should buy to mess around with becoming a DJ. I do not think I'm going to become the greatest DJ of all time or anything (I can hope though!) and my price range is around 200$...unless that is wishful thinking of course. I don't really know what to expect so I'm putting that price out there. Thanks a million for any input you guys can give me, and I have already looked around the site and found lots of neat things I could buy. I'm thinking about buying a midifighter, but they seem fairly advanced? Or maybe not, I have no idea really. I'm a fairly computer-savvy person too, if that matters at all.

Thanks again.

Search these forums?
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    Search these forums?
    i agree.
    if you see something that looks interesting read a review for it.

everyone has a unique style when playing music.

now if you just want something to get you by while you learn the basics.
    check out the m-audio x-session pro

depending on what your gonna use to mix.
    if your going for an all digital or using turntables/cdj's as well

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    Search these forums?
    yeah. THE FAQ FTW!

Search around to see if DJing really is something that you wanna get into. this website and forum is a fantastic resource to use (tons of people -- can give tech help, HONEST gear reviews, tips/tricks, and is generally just a fucking awesome place!) go to guitar center and play with different shit (i personally love buttons/lights/dials - im a bit of a gear whore ), ask questions. go to the bar/club and talk to some of the DJ's, try and be responsible for the music all night at a friends party. download some free trial software (serato's is free -- i didnt like it much but thats just my 2cents) and play with that. look into what kinda music you would want to play, and how people play that genre, digital/analog (vinyl vs cds vs all digital -- traktor vs vdj vs serato vs ableton --> if you wanna produce or dj -- I<3 ableton and im still learning shit about it every day)

YOUTUBE and GOOGLE and most importantly PRACTICE!!!!!!!!!!!

and idk what kind of computer you are using, but i started just playing music for frat parties in college (two ipods and a speaker system) and loved watching a crowd groove to what you put on and what built energy and kept a party going and what didnt.

i was in the same boat as you about actually starting to DJ (the money, the time, the effort) but already had a bit of experience playing music for a party, and i went out and bought the vestax spin and Djay for Mac (the typhoon is the same thing but for windows-- more expensive too i believe). it was like $250 and really got my foot in the door with actual mixing and "real djing". once i kinda figured out the basics (its mad easy to get started with anything in Djay... but the software leaves you lacking) i upgraded to traktor because i found a good map for the spin and the rest is history.

Fell in love with it and never looked back.

P.S. Do your research. (and then) ask people questions (in that order ) itll pay off in the long run.
    Last edited by Nesquigs; 01-11-2011 at 08:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Tech Guru

assuming you're looking at digital. pick up a used hercules rmx and make sure it comes with its copy of virtual dj.

thats how i started in the digital world. when i decided it was for me, i bought a copy of traktor pro and found a mapping for the rmx.

you should be able to find one on craigslist for about 150. just enough to get the job done, and theyre built like tanks.
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by xtianw View Post
    assuming you're looking at digital. pick up a used hercules rmx and make sure it comes with its copy of virtual dj.

thats how i started in the digital world. when i decided it was for me, i bought a copy of traktor pro and found a mapping for the rmx.

you should be able to find one on craigslist for about 150. just enough to get the job done, and theyre built like tanks.
    haha fuck yeah
    i've had my days with the hercules
    never cared for vdj though

i started out with traktor
    never put it down since

Tech Guru

1) close your internet browser.
    2) open your dj software.
    3) start fucking djing.

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    1) close your internet browser.
    2) open your dj software.
    3) start fucking djing.
    but...my email.......... it not going to check its self i just inherited africa!
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

It's not doable for $200. Save more and read a lot.

If you really want to work before then, don't spend any money on stuff. Listen to a lot of music and make a lot of iTunes or MWP playlists…save up money while you learn to make those flow well.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by theory28 View Post
    but...my email.......... it not going to check its self i just inherited africa!
    and then there's that farmville addiction of yours. fucking corn isnt gonna plant itself
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast