reverse engennering
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default reverse engennering

Hi.

Can you guys explain a little more the process of reverse engennering, for example, the vci-100? I asked the author of firmware 1.4 but i got no answer...

thanks

yes???? anyone???

if the guys, the ones who know, don't want to explain, just say it and it will ok.

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

In short (to the extent of my knowledge) it involves getting a copy of the firmware and decompiling it to machine instructions (assembly).

Using a copy of the datasheet for that specific family of microcontrollers enables you to decipher what each instruction is doing and once you understand the whole code you can re-write it in a higher level language (C/C++) or make changes at an assembly level.

I would not expect someone to try and teach you via email as it would be very time consuming, and I mean no offence in saying this but if you have to ask, instead of researching yourself you probably need to learn to code first and then find a community that revolves around this type of activity.

Knowing Assembly is pretty useful for very few things these days. Only the hardcore will know it as many high level languages are so much more useful (and can also do some low-level tinkering stuff, in the case of something like C). If you're not already a very versed programmer, don't bother.

Tech Guru

There are three main tools used but many others are used aswell.

Disasemblers will take the code and convert it into assembly code.

They also use debuggers that the develpoers used. They can use step modes to run the code one line at a time.

Decompilers will try to give you the origional enter source however in certain situations they will not work.

Also learn C++, C and a good understanding of how operating systems work if you are looking at drivers.

It is not an easy job, if you have done no programming in C or C++ before dont even think about it and in most cases you will need to know assembly code

Spelling engineering correctly wouldn't hurt.

Tech Mentor

its a very long and complicated process.
    if i were you, i would listen to what they already posted and learn the basic language.
    when i was younger i used to study a lot of this stuff and i used to take things apart and re build them into different things

Quote Originally Posted by norequest View Post
    Spelling engineering correctly wouldn't hurt.

Mudo

Also you can go to for Arduino (or similar) and build from scratch your own controller.

Don't expect some help from selfish engineers, they usually think nobody else can do their job (other engineers neither)

Sorry about mispelling (but not about criticism about engineers).

pd: I'm a consultant engineer from some hardware/software projects. My two brothers are engineers (electronics and computing).

Two examples:
    www.skrat.ch
    http://hangar.org/wikis/lab/doku.php?id=start:octint

more coming...

Sorry about mispelling (but not about criticism about engineers).
    That's b/c when their shit breaks or needs to be tweaked, other engineers usually don't bother to learn. They just get the author to do it. I know I get calls all the time. :/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast