Hercules DJ RMX vs. Numark Total Control
    Tech Guru

Default Hercules DJ RMX vs. Numark Total Control

Hey,
    I am a poor college student and am most likely going to have to settle for the total control, (instead of VCI-100 or DJ Rmx) I already own a DJ/IO so it isn't a problem, (soundcard isn't an issue). Does the total control have enough buttons and what are your opinions of it? Am I better off waiting to buy a better controller?
    Last edited by mpetersen3; 12-17-2008 at 02:51 PM. Reason: spelling

I'd say wait and save some more cash for the Hercules or a VCI . I had a total control for about 6 hours until the all the lights freaked out and a little puff of smoke came out the back . That's when I swore off Numark for good .

Tech Guru

did they refund/replace you/it at least?

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I totally read that as "did they replace you at least" and had myself an early morning chuckle
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by mpetersen3 View Post
    did they refund/replace you/it at least?
    yes they did

Tech Guru

Will I need a separate analog mixer also to do some advanced things with a midi controller. I know they both (hercules rmx and total control) function as mixers, but I see Ean and others remapping them to do fx, ie. Beatmasher and using an analog mixer. Can I remap them so I can switch back and forth, between different modes, so I don't need to lay down money for an analog mixer and also is this practical and workable?
    Also I have heard on other sources that scratching with the platters on the Rmx or total control is decent since they don't have motors driving them (versus VCI-100). I am new to dj'ing and have never scratched before, and don't plan to do a ton of scratching, can I still use these controllers to do some scratching or is all scratching I might do with them going to be so bad it will be useless in a real event (ie. small local venue, not opening for Tiesto)?
    Sorry for the long post, please throw opinions at me like old tomatoes, the more the better.
    Matt

@mpetersen3 -

The SE has the ability to switch back and forth between fx and mixing - you can mix and do fx on the device all at the same time, its all about being really creative with your midi mappings

Yeah you can use these controllers to do scratching, but to be honest i wouldnt bother until the technology has caught up so we can scratch realisticly.

Id go on about mixing internally vs externally... but well... that really deserves its own thread.

Tech Guru

Well it sounds like you are saying that the jogwheels on any midi controller currently fail to reproduce the real thing accurately, (are you including vci-100?) if so, my question is whether or not it is worth it for me to buy a midi controller in the style of Rmx, Total Control, VCI 100, (with jogwheels) or am I better off spending less and getting something like the novation nocturn, (no jogwheels) which features more or less everything the others have at a lower price, minus the jogwheels. So are the jogwheels useless or aside from scratching are they functional and practical for other things such as beatmatching, that I might not be aware of, having no experience with them?

Quote Originally Posted by mpetersen3 View Post
    Well it sounds like you are saying that the jogwheels on any midi controller currently fail to reproduce the real thing accurately, (are you including vci-100?) if so, my question is whether or not it is worth it for me to buy a midi controller in the style of Rmx, Total Control, VCI 100, (with jogwheels) or am I better off spending less and getting something like the novation nocturn, (no jogwheels) which features more or less everything the others have at a lower price, minus the jogwheels. So are the jogwheels useless or aside from scratching are they functional and practical for other things such as beatmatching, that I might not be aware of, having no experience with them?
    The jog wheels are useful for other things like beatmatching and some fx. They are also really useful for scrolling though song to find the part you want to mix. It all highly depends on how you see yourself mixing - there are an insane amount of different methods that you can mix with. Id recommend the VCI-100 mainly because there are so many people here with VCI-100's who can provide an unparalelled level of support and mappings.

I think the scs-3d aka DaScratch is a pretty nifty controller thats usable for alot of purposes too, the VCI-100 you might put away eventually but i see a scs-3d being useful for a long time to come.