NI S4 Already obsolete?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default NI S4 Already obsolete?

So, NAMM is currently going on. I caught a preview of the up coming Pioneer DDJ series, basically looks like a pioneer version of the s4....

Are there any other controller/sound card/mixers/effects units coming to the market soon I should be mentioning?

The only thing that I can see as an advantage for the s4 over the pioneer gear is price.....

Did I waste me money?

no. you didnt. youre fine.

actually, yes you did, let me take your s4 off youre hands.
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Pioneer, NI, Denon, American Audio, Numark all of them now make a 4 deck controller, all of them have released or will release it few months ago... or in next months, customer have loads of choice... but NO S4 is far to be obsolete, 'till now "I" think the ONLY serious competitor to the S4 is Denon... but still it doesn't come with the full version of the software BUT you can use it as regular analogue Mixer... there's a load of good and cons. For me S4 beat them all... that's me... it suit "MY" personnal needs. Add timecode feature in, I'll be all set In case I want to use it, for now TSP does the job. Both software share the same collection, no problem on the same computer. Delight.

Tech Student

what will the timecode feature add? I haven't quite grasped that yet.... I used to use Serato with the timecode vinyl....

What will you use timecodes for with traktor? the only way i could think of is using the s4 in the place of SL1-4 boxes from serato, ie plugging the turntables outputs into the s4 where they would control a deck....is that the deal? cool!

Yup, that's it!

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

the only thing better in the pioneers is the size of the jogs, leave that aside and the outdated ones are the japanese.

oh, they are bundled with old software as well

and the really nice pioneer pitch faders. I'd still have the S4 though.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Wizard

It seems to me that these new pioneer controllers were being designed way before the developers saw the new S4 functions so IMO THEY are obsolete from day 1(except for the nice search controls), not that they are bad but they don't have dedicated buttons for say loop recorder, sampler decks and other functions . Nothing a nice mapping can't fix but its nicer to have more buttons at hand without having to mess around to much. From quality perspective, wow these pioneers look amazing I'm a little jealous in that area, yes. The ability to slide the laptop under is pretty tight, considering I never touch my keyboard. Great for space saving. If these puppies upgrade soon to meet all s4 functions out of the box(which probably won't happen soon knowing pioneer) I will totally sell my s4! Another thing that ticked me was no midi in/out(so no syncing to other computers out of the box either ). boo, nice try though!

Bottom line: If you're not into all the cool new s4 features and just want to keep it regular traktor mixing I would recommend looking at these, otherwise I would wait until they update them with more buttons. If I had the money I would keep both! XD

What is it with everyone calling everything obsolete? None of these controllers are anything like obsolete. The 3.5" floppy disk, that is obsolete. The cassette walkman, that is obsolete. Chris de Burgh, almost the definition of obsolescence.

A brand new Pioneer controller that's not yet released and has some nice features, or an all in one system that ships with a piece of highly saught after software that's as yet unavailable any other way? Very much not obsolete!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Wizard

chill! let me rephrase, its not up to date. there.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast