Torq 2.0 - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Torq 2.0

Tech Wizard

No doubt Torq was killer when it came out @ $299 with a soundcard & timecodes but the price for 2.0 is not worth it to new users and even if all of the old user like us buy the $50 upgrade how long will it be before Avid drops TORQ? As for the soundcard just read all the post http://www.torq-dj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11164

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
    No doubt Torq was killer when it came out @ $299 with a soundcard & timecodes but the price for 2.0 is not worth it to new users and even if all of the old user like us buy the $50 upgrade how long will it be before Avid drops TORQ? As for the soundcard just read all the post http://www.torq-dj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11164
    I watched the lead developer talking to the numark guys about ns6 compatibility. i also know the lead developer (he was one of our resident dj's at a club i worked at for years in albuquerque).

avid isnt dropping torq anytime soon. it accounted for literally half of their booth this year. thats saying something when the other half was pro tools 9
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by xtianw View Post
    avid isnt dropping torq anytime soon. it accounted for literally half of their booth this year. thats saying something when the other half was pro tools 9
    I hope they do not drop TORQ I own it and have used it for 3 years its very confortable too me I can pull off great mixes with it but you have to wonder what the plan is for the future and who their target market is??
    Most people bought TORQ the first time (me too) because of its low price I dont think the $50 upgrade is going to keep AVID very interested in investing more $$$ in TORQ they are going to need new customers how are they going to do that? I myself am not sure I want to throw another $50 to upgrade to 2.0 especially since this is a beta release they have had years and still not ready?

Yeah...Avid seems to be pretty dedicated to Torq.

From what I've read, the reason Torq 2.0 took so long was because the whole company was restructuring.

Torq development is now handled AIR...the same part of Avid that handles Pro Tools.

If the way they've changed Pro Tools is an indication of a new strategy, my prediction is they'll drop the price of the Torq software to $100-150 and then offer some audio interfaces for another $150-200 depending on if it's 8-channel/4 deck or not.

I still don't understand the big deal about 4-decks. I thought the only reason it was important in Traktor was because Traktor didn't have a sampler.

With that said, I was playing around with the Torq trial version today using external control. Man!!! I know it's just a "pre-release", but it's going to be hard going back to the older version.

They really nailed it and went after nearly every complaint I've ever heard about Torq. Even the slight sticker drift, (which was barely noticable on Torq 1.5 . You had to the let the record go for about 2 or 3 rotations to notice) has been addressed.

I'm going to attempt to make a mapping for my Mixtrack sometime this week.
    Last edited by coolout; 01-18-2011 at 12:41 AM.
    Make beats. Write rhymes. Spin music. Throw parties. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

CHECK ME OUT:
    www.djcoolout.com
    www.cooloutmusic.com

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by coolout View Post
    With that said, I was playing around with the Torq trial version today using external control. Man!!! I know it's just a "pre-release", but it's going to be hard going back to the older version.

They really nailed it and went after nearly every complaint I've ever heard about Torq. Even the slight sticker drift, (which was barely noticable on Torq 1.5 . You had to the let the record go for about 2 or 3 rotations to notice) has been addressed.
    Sounds good I downloaded it but it keeps telling me I need to be the Admin to install ( I Am) but it may be a problem with Windows 7 not sure and havent tried too hard.

and an early Ms. Pinky user I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Torq.

VST and Rewire are huge features that the other guys don't have. And that makes it great for anyone pairing it with production software (protools nine for instance).

Some people may like this if they approach production through their DJ rig.

Here's our quick video with the Avid rep who sadly didn't mention this detial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bafq-31OEjY

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
    You can still buy the connective pack with Torq 1.5 & the control CD/vinyl and the upgrade to 2.0 is free.
    Macbook Pro 15"
    Torq 2.0
    Connective
    Akai MPD 24

Quote Originally Posted by nath_b View Post
    You can still buy the connective pack with Torq 1.5 & the control CD/vinyl and the upgrade to 2.0 is free.
    I forgot all about that. If you find a retail version of Torq for $250-300 that basically makes Torq 2.0 still about half the price of Traktor Scratch Pro or Serato with an included sound card.

Yay for the underdog. Torq is still the best bang for the buck.
    Make beats. Write rhymes. Spin music. Throw parties. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

CHECK ME OUT:
    www.djcoolout.com
    www.cooloutmusic.com

Default Torq 2.0

Hey guys,

Interesting to read your thoughts/experiences with Torq 2.0.
    I have been dj-ing around the world with Torq since 1.0 came out back in 2007 with the Xponent and have since then upgraded to 2.0 and now to 2.01.
    So far (touch wood) I have to say that major improvements have been made since Avid has come onboard.
    I haven't had any stability issues - even when playing in 45C in the sun at a pool party in Abu Dhabi
    Personally, I just love the fact that besides the standard features, I can use VST effects, control the 18cell sampler with my trigger finger and obviously play 4 decks at the same time and rewire Ableton if I feel like it
    It's obvious that since Traktor has stepped up their game plus the wide range of controllers have come out that lots of people have gone for Traktor, but in my opinion Torq 2.0 is an underdog that is not always getting the recognition it deserves..
    Each to their own, but I wouldn't dismiss it as quickly as some of you already have

Patrick

I just upgraded to 2.0.1 n it runs flawlessly NICE!!! I'm just getting use to the new midi mapping.. n the audio sounds way better.. I'm loving it.. u got crates now for all those who wanted it.... vst has always been a part of torq never really used it... might try it now... the samplers are now 18 instead of 16... and TORQ works with any sound card haven't used my sl3 yet.... but I've been hearing guys using the audio8... might give it a try... hehe... avid actually open the program for different controllers... something I've been craving as well... VCI 300, NS7, bunch of other ones... I still got my xponent and use it when I play out ...
    2xTECHS/DJM4/TF/SL3/MBPRO

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123