HDJ 1000 durability

Default HDJ 1000 durability

I just got a pair of HDJ-1000, despite all I've heard about their bad durability, since I could get a really good deal on them. So far I'm really really happy with the way they sound, but I'm well aware that they're not the best build headphones on the market. So I'm thinking I'm going to try and pre-empt the supposedly inevitable breakdown of these by treating them very carefully and if possible, I'll try to reinforce the weaker parts somehow (I have some creative ideas an spare time ). So I'm curious to hear from any HDJ-1000 users where they then to break and how? I've heard that it's mostly the ball-joint going? Anyone have a picture of a broken pair?

I can try and get some pictures next time im in at my residency, there are 4 broken pairs lying there doing nothing and one pair two DJ's still use that are broken but being held together by duct tape and these guys are pretty careful with their gear.

The ball joints is the main place iv seen them break, the latest and weirdest one iv experienced is where the black band that goes over the head part, the bit where it inserts into the plastic on the left ear has broken off causing it to extend far too much..

My other friend he has always been careful and where the audio cable goes into his cup the connection became lose and lost all sound on the opposite cup.

That's just a few.

everyone i've known who has owned those in the past 5 years has broken them. either at the ball joint or at the headband. it's one of the worst pioneer products ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Cerna View Post
    everyone i've known who has owned those in the past 5 years has broken them. it's one of the worst pioneer products ever.
    And have no intention on fixing it by the looks of things.

i literally laughed so hard when i saw the topic to this thread, yeah i bought into the whole 1000's 5 years ago cuz they sounded great and hurt my hears less than the sonys which were really the only other popular ones around in the chicago house scene back then. so i got em, i broke each side at the swivel about 6 times each, ive tried every super glue every epoxy, etc, something eventually does it, like cold weather and then falling on the floor and snap.

a tip for anyone that still has these, the screw that goes through the lower part of the swivel, drill it out and put the right sized rivet through there, then get the best expoxy you can find and fill in the cracks, ever since i did that i've had no problems.

worst pioneer products ever, may have to be tied with taht new s4 wannabe, whoever thought to take their worst jogwheel design, remove the lcd panel that might have made that a cool controller, and give it a 2 channel MIDI mixer, not hardware mixer that looks like a crappy djm400.

i dont know which is worse

Quote Originally Posted by joeblack949 View Post
    i literally laughed so hard when i saw the topic to this thread
    Thanks for that I guess... I was just looking for some advice, but I'll refrain from asking from now on I suppose.

I think you totally misunderstood me, i wasnt laughing at you, just at the fact that everyone who's owned a pair i can pretty much gurantee has sworn their entire line of headphones off for life, they had a good sound but they all had the same exact problem, its like if the new toyotas all had that brake problem and everyone that owned one drove off a cliff and survived to tell the story

Quote Originally Posted by korona View Post
    Thanks for that I guess... I was just looking for some advice, but I'll refrain from asking from now on I suppose.
    [ Soundcloud | BandPage @ Facebook ]
    Gear: Macbook Pro, Motu 828, Heavily Self Modded Audio 8, Mackie D.4 Pro, Maschine, Kontrol X1, APC40, LPK25

and if you wanna be preemptive it was never the ball joint that was the problem for me, if you're looking at the headphones from the side you can see 2 angled faces one with a r or l on them, the one without the letter on it, it breaks completely off right there on both sides eventually. i hear the best thing to do is to drill lots of tiny holes all the way around and thread it with something durable, then epoxy inside and outside and draw it tight. if you want a premptive thng the only thing i can think of is custom made metal plates on each side with double bolts and nuts or rivets to support that piece
    [ Soundcloud | BandPage @ Facebook ]
    Gear: Macbook Pro, Motu 828, Heavily Self Modded Audio 8, Mackie D.4 Pro, Maschine, Kontrol X1, APC40, LPK25