Newb Help!

Thread: Newb Help!

Tech Convert

Default Newb Help!

Hi all,

Well after looking around for ages I finally ordered and received my first mixer, however I'm completely new to DDJ'ing and I'm looking for some tips.

I've bought a Reloop Digital jockey 2 Interface edition, though I got traktor LE with it, is it worth upgrading the Pro as soon as possible or should I wait a while until I'm used to mixing?

Second problem is I can't seem to split the audio between the system and my headphones.

I realise you should essentially split one deck between the other and beatmatch using one ear with your headphones on and the other track from the speakers.

if someone could help me set this up, it would be very helpful.

Thanks

does the reloop have a built in sound card? i'm not familar with it and feeling too lazy to google... my bad

if not, you need to get hold of one and this will create the master/monitor split for you.

it looks like a new traktor version is on the horizon so i would hold back on updating/gradin atm until the new version has landed. but that's just me

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Convert

yes, well thats the main reason I bought it as I wanted everything housed within the unit, I've got my output RCA cables to my amp and my headphones connected to the headphone jack.

I'm just assuming I've got everything connected up correctly and it's just a case of me not knowing how to set it up in traktor but I've been known to be wrong .

I'd check with the manual first. Not familiar with the reloop myself. Check output settings in Traktor. Master should be channel 1 and 2 but as for monitoring I'd try 3 and 4 to start if that doesn't work keep moving up the channels until you are able to cue sound in the headphones. But to save all that hassle just check which channels the reloop has in the manual.
    CDJ2000 x 3 : DJM900 : Novation Remote SL25 : Ableton L8 : Traktor Pro 2

in preferences you need to go into audio settings and check that you have the reloop card selected, not pcs own card.

then you should see drop down boxes for master and booth/monitor. hopefully 2 for each. you'll want to pair up 0 & 1 and 2 & 3 and use one pair for master and the other pair for the monitor.

not knowing the card exactly i couldn't tell you which way round they should be, but common sense says 0 & 1 might be master. however it is possible for them to be other way round... sounds derp i know, lol

how have you got them set atm?

SoundCloud

for some reason i wasn't shown 'hesitants' reply...

SoundCloud

Tech Convert

I think I managed to sort it, in traktor if I click the headphone button I get the opposite decks music in my ear with the "mix" knob turned completely down.

Though now I'm just really confused

it's more difficult than I thought setting up lol .

you can also play with one track cued have it playing and use the mix knob to hear it in the headphones. i use it all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by djnesquigs View Post
    you can also play with one track cued have it playing and use the mix knob to hear it in the headphones. i use it all the time.
    I think I'm just having trouble learning to mix from scratch, I bought a book "DJ'ing for dummies" but it's completely different from learning on my mixer.

I've learned of the magical Headphone cue buttons that I didn't knew existed .

thanks all for the tips.

also has anyone got any links to some decent tut websites?

I'm going to try Ellaskins in a bit.