Which DAW ;beginner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which DAW ;beginner

I am just a beginner and have some past experiences in pianos but not the basics like music structure, notes etc, not a lot of cords. So i want to create trance house music like armin van burren ,tiesto, bt ,andy moor etc. I have still got my old midi keyboard to use as a controller routed through a UM1G.

Which daw should i start with and which synths plugins and if some study material about synths.
    THANKS IN ADVANCE

pick a few DAWs you've already heard of and demo them.

as far as synth advice, read up on learning how to program a synth. start with subtractive, [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subtractive_synthesis"]Subtractive synthesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

^^ What he said. Most of the major DAWs have downloadable demos. Reaper/Live/Sonar/Studio One all have downloadable demos that you can use to see which suits you best. Cubase/Nuendo and Logic do not. All of them pretty much provide you same feature set and plug-ins, but the main difference between them all are the workflows. So spend some time with the demos and see which DAW fits you best.
    MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core i7 :: Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.10.5
    Traktor Pro 2.9 :: Launchpad :: MIDI Fighter Pro Beatmasher/3D

I'm really starting to get sick of this whole what daw/synth/software should I use thing. So I'm just going to keep this short and simple. This is what you want:

Ableton Live 8
    Native Instruments Massive
    Lennar Digital Sylenth1

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by kilobytekaushik View Post
    I am just a beginner and have some past experiences in pianos but not the basics like music structure, notes etc, not a lot of cords. So i want to create trance house music like armin van burren ,tiesto, bt ,andy moor etc. I have still got my old midi keyboard to use as a controller routed through a UM1G.

Which daw should i start with and which synths plugins and if some study material about synths.
    THANKS IN ADVANCE
    i think the eaist one to master right off teh bat is fruity loops. or FL studio i think they call it now. Iv been using it years just for writting beats and then export to acid pro or abelton. but FL is probably the way to go if u r that new to the whole thing. I think alot those other pieces of software will be tough to understand right off the bat.
    Acer 1803T - Abelton Live 8 - Audio 2 DJ - Korg Micro X - M-Audio USB - KRK Rockit Monitors - Dell Xeon Desktop - Sony MDR headphones - Fruity loops - Acid Pro - Sound Forge

Quote Originally Posted by Djtom420 View Post
    i think the eaist one to master right off teh bat is fruity loops. or FL studio i think they call it now. Iv been using it years just for writting beats and then export to acid pro or abelton. but FL is probably the way to go if u r that new to the whole thing. I think alot those other pieces of software will be tough to understand right off the bat.
    I agree, I remix and produce with FL, and while it's not considered "Professional", It only took a month to learn, and if you know how to mix and produce, you can get professional songs, just check out my soundcloud
    My Professional SoundCloud
    My Amateur SoundCloud
    Send me an email to collab, remix, request, anything related to music! It's on my SoundCloud pages.

I actually believe that Ableton is easier for a beginner than FL Studio. Most of the features that made FL Studio popular in the first place, like piano roll, are exactly the same in FL Studio. The difference is that in Ableton everything is right in front of you.

Have a n00b open up a complicated track in FL Studio and they'll have absolutely no clue what's going on. They'll have a hard time figuring out what sound is coming from where, and how things are being automated. In Ableton the workflow places all of the most important things right in front of you. No more tracing what FX channel is going where, or seeing instrument tracks that don't appear to do anything.

Ableton may appear to be more intimidating at first, but it isn't. The improved workflow makes the program a lot easier to learn. Go through the built in 5 minute tutorials, and you'll know almost everything you need.

Quote Originally Posted by TWD View Post
    I actually believe that Ableton is easier for a beginner than FL Studio. Most of the features that made FL Studio popular in the first place, like piano roll, are exactly the same in FL Studio. The difference is that in Ableton everything is right in front of you.

Have a n00b open up a complicated track in FL Studio and they'll have absolutely no clue what's going on. They'll have a hard time figuring out what sound is coming from where, and how things are being automated. In Ableton the workflow places all of the most important things right in front of you. No more tracing what FX channel is going where, or seeing instrument tracks that don't appear to do anything.

Ableton may appear to be more intimidating at first, but it isn't. The improved workflow makes the program a lot easier to learn. Go through the built in 5 minute tutorials, and you'll know almost everything you need.
    Ahhhh, this is true, the workflow does take getting used to, but small things drive me away, like non curved automation, no system based lfo, etc.

But if you get Ableton Live youll probably enjoy it more, and can use it for producing, AND DJing.
    My Amateur SoundCloud
    Send me an email to collab, remix, request, anything related to music! It's on my SoundCloud pages.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheDJCollision View Post
    Ahhhh, this is true, the workflow does take getting used to, but small things drive me away, like non curved automation, no system based lfo, etc.

But if you get Ableton Live youll probably enjoy it more, and can use it for producing, AND DJing.
    Performing, Ableton is crap for DJing

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    Performing, Ableton is crap for DJing
    Haha, good point, I use Traktor for DJing, and route the audio into Ableton. I then use Ableton for launching samples, oneshots, and adding effects.
    My Amateur SoundCloud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast