Scratching on VCI-100 SE
    Tech Wizard

Default Scratching on VCI-100 SE

Hi, I'm about to buy a VCI-100 Arcade and am just wondering about the jog wheels... I have read some people's opinions here and there, but have never seen many personally attest to the jog wheel quality. I know they were upgraded via the firmware update 1.4, but I'm just wondering how they stack up to other jog wheels (S4?) and vinyl as well. Is hip hop style scratching a legit possibility with the firmware upgrade? Thanks to all who reply!

- Max

you may be better off with the vci300 for hip hop style scratching
    www.elliotgrainger.com

vci 300 mk2
    13in mbp

Tech Wizard

Yeah, I mean I know the VCI-300 is meant more for turntablists, I just wouldn't mind hearing people's thoughts on how the VCI-100 jogs stack up

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

They don't even come close to the S4 even with the new firmware. You could use a 1.4 VCI for some very basic stuff and it's tons better than the 1.3 VCI, but the S4 still blows it away. If you're already very good you might get more out of it, but if you're already very good I doubt you would be looking at a VCI.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

One trick that will help is a little piece of velcro (the soft side) underneath the jog wheel that you scratch with; it will help slow it down a bit. The wheel feels way too loose in general so that helps. But they still aren't ideal for scratching. I've seen some youtube vids of people tearing it up though so if you practice a lot you can sound pretty decent on it. Check youtube videos for vci-100 scratching and see if that will work for you.

Basically if scratching is a priority then a VCI-100 even with 1.4 is not ideal.

You want DVS or vinyl... CDJs could work.

But you want to just do a bit of wiki wiki then it'll work ok. I think the jogs are miles better with the 1.4.

Persoanlly scratching isn't a priority at all and I wouldn't swap my VCI-100 Arcade for an S4, no way. Far to big and bulky for me
    Last edited by MaxOne; 01-15-2011 at 12:21 PM.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Wizard

any other opinions on this?

VCI is champ in my book. If you want to scratch you should get turntables, which the S4 won't let you do (VCI you can get a A8DJ and use turntables). Scratching should never be done on jogs, unless you just want to do basics (in which case it should be fine on the VCI-100 with enough practice.
    Traktor/Itch: Xone Dx - MidiFighter x1
    Ableton: Livid Code - iPad - KP3
    Tech: Macbook Pro 17", intel i7, 8gb RAM, 500gb HD 7200RPM

You looked on youtube at all? Do a search man.

This vid is decent and he's probably on FW1.2, at best 1.3 and bear in mind FW1.4 (which the current SE edition ships with) is even tighter.

Sounds alright to me, but for scratching purity then DVS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs_6xU_kQh0
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Jog wheels are not made for scratching in the slightest. I certainly can't think of any well known scratch artists who use anything other than vinyl, can you? It's perfectly possible to scratch with jog wheels, it's just fucking hard in comparison to other methods. You just don't have that degree of control that you can achieve with vinyl.