PC Keyboard Hack Project (On A Budget)
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default PC Keyboard Hack Project (On A Budget)

Greetings people here is my latest venture into modding things.

What I wanted to build was a button matrix controller that I could change the layout of whenever I felt like it.

Because I'm on a tight budget I decided to hack a pc keyboard for the brains and because arcade buttons are out of the question at the moment I have used tactile switches instead.

The whole idea of this project was to have a controller that was cheap to build and have multiple uses.

This is 1 of 2 controllers that will be interlinked together totaling 80 buttons.

Here are a few pics to show you where I'm going with this bearing in mind I have still got to build an outer case (the pictures shown are the insides)

More to come soon

I love this site, I really do.

If this turns out anything like your last mod then we will all be drooling over it for months. All the best of luck in building this, not that you'll need it.

My only question is, Are you using one keyboard or two? I've heard using two can cause conflict problems. I take it you bought a keyboard with lots of assignable buttons?

Oh, and where did you get those templates from? Are they self made? They look quality.

Thanks Archie yes I'm using 2 keyboards but glovepie solves the problem of 2 or 3 or 4 keyboards

The overlays are just some ideas I printed out on A4 paper and laminated.
    My color printers out of ink at the moment so i had to print in black and white.

I must say you've done a fair bit of groundwork there already. Are you a tradesman like myself (I'm guessing a joiner/carpenter)? Apologies if you are a multi skilled technician with degrees in mechanical/electrical engineering.....

Wood butcher versus cable puller then.

Yes too true.

Anyway Big ups Archie for your latest diy s4 project.

that looks sick!

but if it doesnt work out, the novation dicers are a good alternative. for ~$100 you have 2 controllers. each with 5 buttons and 6 layers. totaling 60 buttons. map in a modifier (shift key) on each controller (to keep them independent) and now you have 120 buttons. and its responsive as hell. (LED feedback is a nice bonus too)

mad props for what you did though! my suggestion is just for if you want a shit ton more buttons and the keyboards crap out on you
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Maybe I should have stated before It works 100% and now the only thing to make is the outer case which will be black cast acrylic.

i think a black and white checker board patter on the sides would be cool. to keep in theme with the B&W pattern
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast