Need DIY controller resources

Default Need DIY controller resources

Ok so im thinking about making my own mixer to use along side 2 midi fighters with deckalized mapping. Id love for it to be as small as possible (close to the size of a midi fighter). Ill be using this to mix internally and i would like it to be bussed powered through usb. My vision for this controller would be for it to have 2 volume faders to be used to control decks A & B, a cross fader, 6 knobs used for dedicated eq controls for decks A & B, 2 knobs to be used for gain in both decks, and mabye 2 arcade buttons (with LED's) for any random task i might come up with in the future. Other than those parts I dont know what else ill need (like circuit board stuff??)

I figure the smallest this controller will get is about 7 inches by 7 inches

So what im asking for is any resources that people can give as far as: DIY videos, websites where i can order the parts, similar DIY builds, and any other advice pleassssseee!!!!!!!!

Thank you in advance

X Session pro too big for you?

Call me crazy but I just like the idea of my own custom midi controller. Plus i always love the opportunity to learn something new.

and i just found this
    http://www.halemicro.com/Products/Products.html

Am i headed in the right direction?

Well, you're amongst friends here.

Yes, you are headed in the right direction, but there are lots more possibilities out there. Have you thought of using an old gamepad coupled with some MIDI conversion software? It sounds more difficult than it actually is.

I'm off to bed now (it's nearly 2am here), but have a search around the forum and if you find anything that interests you, just ask some questions in this thread. I or someone else will come to your aid before the week is out.

Ok would the board from the DIY midi fighter kit work for what i want? I dont want a MF hybrid, I just want a compact midi usb mixer that meets the specs above So could i replace the buttons with faders, knobs, and such?

arduino

i have been looking at building a midi controller in the last month.
    this video helped me a bit hopefully it will help some other people aswell.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DijIY...eature=related

Tech Guru

bump....sitting here reading the forums today. I got the urge to build something just like this to go with an X1. There's another guy on this forum that build a box with two X1's and a soundcard. Been thinking of DIY controller just like the one you described. Some volume faders, some EQ knobs and a button or two and slap it next to an X1 with a sound card all in one box.

Not sure where to start. Did some reading and i'm guessing I need board that will support that many pots/faders.

Did you end up figuring something out?
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300