Best DJ setup for Ableton ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned

Depends on how you want to use Ableton to be honest. Are you looking to just mix track "A" to track "B" and so on? What are the key thing you need to have control over?

I myself do more "Micro" mixing, instead of mixing tracks, I'm mixing parts so at anyone one time I can have up to 12 channels running at once. Plus I have two keyboards on stage with me along with two launchpads and two BCR/BCF2000's and I'm looking to add a drum pad of some sort in the near future (first obvious choice is the Maschine, but after seeing the new Tempest in action I might scoop that up instead).

Tech Convert

Thanks guys, i will give decadance a try : )
    My setup is basically a launchpad and a Nanokontrol. It is nice but i think my ableton config is really limited compared to someone with Traktor... My aim is to use it as a real DJ, not to create things live. , I use my launchpad as an effect controller on mode User 2( with some effextrix cfg, looper, and beat repeat on it).. and my nanokontrol controls the volume controls, and some more effects. I launch the clips with my scene 1 mode on my launchpad.. but i really feel i miss something.
    That's why i was asking for help , i will try decadance

Banned

If all you want to do is mix, then I think you're making it harder on yourself than it has to be by using Ableton. Just scoop up Traktor and call it a day I say

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Nephew View Post
    If all you want to do is mix, then I think you're making it harder on yourself than it has to be by using Ableton. Just scoop up Traktor and call it a day I say
    This is true. But maybe he wants to expand in the future. traktor is so limited. I think im over it.
    Equipment------
    --HP Dv6T Select Editon. i5 6gb DDR3, backlit keys and touchscreen.

Banned

Then when that time comes he can go to Traktor, or even combine them together. Just seems like he's trying to fit a round peg in a square hole

Tech Student

Default Check my ableton dj set up

http://www.nevernothouse.com/2011/03...ve-set-up.html

this week for my blog post i decided to explain my live set up..feel free to comment.
    cheers

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I have a friend that DJs in Traktor using between 40 and 60 audio tracks. I try to use between 4 and 8.

With the controllers you have you can do some crazy stuff. Look into MIDI Katapult for the Launchpad, which will open up HUGE doors for you. Unfortunately it's hard to completely divorce yourself from the mouse.

If you can find the SCS1m... I'm falling in love with it. I just need to get the unencrypted Bomes file.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    I have a friend that DJs in Traktor using between 40 and 60 audio tracks. I try to use between 4 and 8.

With the controllers you have you can do some crazy stuff. Look into MIDI Katapult for the Launchpad, which will open up HUGE doors for you. Unfortunately it's hard to completely divorce yourself from the mouse.

If you can find the SCS1m... I'm falling in love with it. I just need to get the unencrypted Bomes file.
    Dude...the Katapult is ill...i think im in love.
    Equipment------
    --HP Dv6T Select Editon. i5 6gb DDR3, backlit keys and touchscreen.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BennyJ View Post
    Dude...the Katapult is ill...i think im in love.
    A friend of mine uses a pretty sick combo of beat repeat and autofilter with it. It's awesome.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

you might want to check out nativekontrol for his Launchpad scripts in ableton. They will let you do some really cool things in addition to the regular modes, including controlling devices using banks of 8 LED sliders (why this isnt an option by default is beyond me), really easy recording of clips and a really cool clip slicer that works with any audio or midi clip. you can do real beat juggling in a clip rather than just glitching it up like you would with effectrix. I'm getting a nanokontrol today from someone for 25 bucks so I have something more portable to bring with me rather than my APC40. Love the APC but it's not fun to ride the subway with. He also has a nanokontrol script that I'll probably get...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast