[windows] My S4 Diary: Prepping for and setting up my S4 - Page 14
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Nvm works fine on xp

hi smittten,

first of all, thank you for taking the time to create this post to help all of us out. second, i wanted to see if you ever figured out why your cpu was spiking at consistent intervals when the s4 was plugged in.

i am having the same issue with my audio 8 causing cpu spikes to 25% (and latency spikes in traktor around 400) every 10 seconds, almost like clockwork. it only happens when the audio 8 is plugged in and traktor is open (even idle). all other times my cpu is 0-1% even with traktor open. i wouldnt really mind the spikes, however they seem to sometimes cause feint popping sounds (especially in kick drums) when they occur.

i have an hp dv6, i5, 8 gigs of ram and win 7 64bit (home premium i think). the laptop is brand new and i only use it for traktor. i have the latest tsp 2.5 and latest audio 8 driver (3.0.0.625) which i uninstalled/reinstalled. i have done most of the things you recommend here but i may try killing the battery though, that seems to be one step i didnt do. i'm going to give it another shot tonight and see what i can find out. just curious if you ever got those spikes to stop.

thanks again!
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Good Morning,

Sorry it's taken so long to get to this. I never actually spent a whole lot of time looking to the load meter output. That was mainly because it had no effect on the performance in Traktor. For instance, even when it was showing in the red in Traktor the actual CPU usage in Windows was minimal. Since writing the original post I moved onto an uprated machine but I just recently moved back to my original laptop (dual core amd with 4GB etc). This time the CPU load meter was continually redlining and Traktor has become unusable. At first I blamed 2.5 as I loaded the up the original Kontrol S4 version of Traktor and all "seemed" to be well. I went away did, something, came back to the machine and suddenly the old S4 version was redlining too. I went back through what few settings I had leftand then gave the machine a reboot. When the machine came back up I noticed that even though I had the wireless switched off (using the physical switch on the machine) it was still initially loading up. I went into the Services dialog and disabled my WLAN services and rebooted. I did all this late last night so while I haven't fully tested everything yet, I can tell you that load meter dropped right back down. I will let you know as and when I do....

Other than that, it seems that there is something polling on your machine. Generally, processes poll when they need to check if something has happened. I am not sure what would be polling every 10 seconds. Do you have anything net related running? an e-mail client? chat client? Skype? It doesn't have to be net related but it's a good place to start.... Also, have you tried turning ALL lan services (wired and wireless) just to see?
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by hayden14 View Post
    If you follow all the steps in this forum your audio issues will stop. NI provides some help in their support and i advise you follow those steps also. I originally was like most of you guys where i complained and complained just wanting a quick fix but nothing came. Finally i followed every step people had been talking about and BAM my S4 ran perfectly. It seems disabling your battery and wireless actually in your device list is the main fix but doing cleanups and little other steps does not hurt. Please make sure your comp is up to standards and do every single step presented and your S4 should finally run the way you want it to!
    That is simply not true for every user (myself included).

Have tried all the steps in this forum and other forums on both Windows Vista Business and Windows 7 Home Premium - and still am getting audio glitches.

I've been hunting for a solution for a long time and spent many hours doing so.

I will post my solution IF I find it

I'm working with sovvy on this one and it's proving to be less than straightforward!

Excellent guide! I now have a Windows 8 day to day partition and a Windows 7 Traktor dedicated partition. As a possible tip for others, I've also consciously limited the free space on the Traktor partition to 100GB. This will force me not to keep piling up the wav and mp3 files on there and refresh my music periodically rather than have racks of crappy old stuff.

I'm using a Western Digital Black 7200rpm 500GB hard drive and its about as good as it gets for mechanical drives, though have been considering switching out for a similar sized SSD or the expanded Momentus hybrid drives.
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

Tech Wizard

My solution was to buy a new laptop with an i7 CPU, clearly my older laptop's CPU is too slow for Traktor S4.

Default please fix the photo's friend

please fix the photo's friend

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Ntur64 View Post
    please fix the photo's friend
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by sandeep View Post
    +1
    We just moved house. Let me see if I can find them on my NAS. Will be a few days or so....