[OT] Rant: If you're going to request a song...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default [OT] Rant: If you're going to request a song...

...make sure it isn't currently playing.

Also, don't react like someone punched you in the face when you get an evil look for asking, "Can you play that song that goes 'duh duh herrr derrr unh.'"

(diaf)

(gnite)
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

Quote Originally Posted by completej View Post
    ...make sure it isn't currently playing.

Also, don't react like someone punched you in the face when you get an evil look for asking, "Can you play that song that goes 'duh duh herrr derrr unh.'"
    Two solutions -
    1. Buy a water pistol - as they stagger towards you - take aim.......
    2. Had a T-shirt made (sorry no pic) that reads "I don't do requests"
    Last edited by tekki; 01-16-2011 at 03:15 PM.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

you're gonna love this blog

http://stuffdjshate.com/

serious question - have you ever squirted someone with the water gun?

i'd love to, but i feel i would be soon defending my face with a DJM400 from said-requestor's roid rage husband.

also, thanks for the blog link. gonna grab a cup of joe and read through every post.

Quote Originally Posted by completej View Post
    serious question - have you ever squirted someone with the water gun?

i'd love to, but i feel i would be soon defending my face with a DJM400 from said-requestor's roid rage husband.

also, thanks for the blog link. gonna grab a cup of joe and read through every post.
    To be honest - no - wishful thinking. How about requestor's mace spray:eek:

PS - homemade Joe, or the 'new-look' Starbucks?
    Last edited by JonathanBlake; 01-16-2011 at 11:51 AM. Reason: addition

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    you're gonna love this blog

http://stuffdjshate.com/
    This is brilliant.

f*ck starbucks. i make my own espresso.

I never understood why DJ's bitch and moan about this stuff. We get payed a ridiculously large amount of money to play music..for crying out loud, to PLAY MUSIC!!!..Also, if you had any other job (a real job, not washing dishes) you'd realize that people are always "requesting" stuff...ALWAYS, in almost any job setting. DJ's are too cocky now. Of course, we know a ton about music and laugh at those that don't, but is that the right thing to do? lastly, if you are dj'ing for a club most of the time you are there to please/ENTERTAIN the customers so if they ask you to jump you better fuckin' jump! of course there are always exceptions to everything. Most people don't wanna hear the newest underground shit nor hear some dj scratching.

Quote Originally Posted by djcaptainshawn View Post
    I never understood why DJ's bitch and moan about this stuff. We get payed a ridiculously large amount of money to play music..for crying out loud, to PLAY MUSIC!!!..Also, if you had any other job (a real job, not washing dishes) you'd realize that people are always "requesting" stuff...ALWAYS, in almost any job setting. DJ's are too cocky now. Of course, we know a ton about music and laugh at those that don't, but is that the right thing to do? lastly, if you are dj'ing for a club most of the time you are there to please/ENTERTAIN the customers so if they ask you to jump you better fuckin' jump! of course there are always exceptions to everything. Most people don't wanna hear the newest underground shit nor hear some dj scratching.
    I hear you, and yes, there IS an element of (professional) obligation. I think it's your last point that we are moaning about. If you're billed as a tech/deep house set, why WOULD you have the new Black Eyed Peas cued ? (It's a crap song whichever way you look at it, AND they should pay the frik'n royalties). I don't like being told I have 'bad taste' by a drunk bimbette that thinks the BAP's are 'hip'.

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

Played a house party last night and only got like 2 or 3 stupid requests, rest of them were GOOD and pertained to the stuff I was playing (shocking I know). Yeah... kinda helps that the guys living there were telling pretty much everyone that asking me for mainstream would yield nothing cause I have none... my friend took care of that side of things lol.

But yeah, seriously. Example from last week, banging out some heavy dubstep tunes... got a ton of people jamming to it. Some chick comes up and asks me to put on some rhianna followed by some dude asking if i can play some drake. Crazy top40 fools.
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast