Vestax Spin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vestax Spin

Tech Convert

Default Vestax Spin

Hey guys im Global from australia, Im trying to get into DJing as I find it very fun and enjoyable, I've recently purchased a Vestax Spin Controller and while browsing the fourms I noticed a few mods/hacks on similar controllers like the vci-100. I was wondering if there was anything like that for the Spin?
    Arcade mod, ect. Also if there were any guides on it that would be great.

Thanks!

I'm afraid I don't think you'll be able to do an arcade mod on the spin, those buttons take up a lot of space and the mic in and headphone out ports are right under the transport buttons (the front row). Best get a midifighter! As for anything else I'm not sure. There are probably some pretty funky mappings out there, possibly lurking on this forum somewhere so do a bit of a search. That said I always recommend experimenting with mapping yourself as it can be very rewarding.

At the end of the day you have a really nice piece of kit to start on so good luck, practice and enjoy!

P.S. out of interest, what software are you using at the moment?
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Hey Global! Welcome to the community!

As for your question, I don't think (I have not checked) that there are mods like the arcade mods available for the Spin due to it being such a tiny controller. However if you are looking for a arcade mod kind of a thing, I would suggest just pick up a MIDI-Fighter. You can't go wrong with it. There's actually a thread somewhere on the forums about what's "not so good" about it, and last time I checked people were having trouble coming up with things that DJTT needs to fix / adjust / that suck with the MIDI-Fighter.

I hope I helped answer your question!

Tech Convert

Thanks guys, I was looking at the MidiFighter just before and it looks excellent! Just wondering if its easy to use/customise I was going to get a LPD8 to play around with sampling, ect. But what would be better?

I'm currently using Djay 3 as it was bundled with my controller, Can the MF be used for that or should I go for other programs (Trakor, ect)

Thanks again.

I think if you ask most of the people on this forum they'll tell you that the MF is pretty much the best 4x4 grid controller out there provided you don't need velocity sensitive pads, most likely adding something like 'those arcade buttons are just so damn playable!'. I'm actually very seriously considering getting one myself.

I haven't tried Djay but from what I hear it's not bad, however if you really want to get the most out of something like a midifighter you'll want Traktor Pro. Hold fire on that for now though, cos the video teaser for the new version has just been released and we're expecting a full announcement on features and pricing on feb 1st.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5

I agree completely with everything fullenglishpint just said, I suppose as i was typing my initial response to this thread he typed his at the same time and submitted his before mine, since they both say essentially the same thing.

I would suggest waiting as well (for a slightly different reason), on both the MIDI-Fighter, and Traktor till the Traktor update is announced. Especially since DJ'ing is a heavy investment, I just started in the beginning of November and since November I have spent about $2000 on DJ'ing equipment. Initially I was going to start off with the Spin as well but being the money spending whore that I am I decided to pick up an S4. I feel that I am extremely lucky to have found out I like to DJ as much as I thought I would.

Definitely play with your spin first for a while, and then if you really want to make a full commitment then pick up the new Traktor product and the MIDI-Fighter.

As for myself, i'm thinking of picking up one as well, although I may just opt to use my Maschine as one - the buttons look like so much fun to play with! Ohh and that interview with Ean and Richie on it, if Richie is getting one it definitely cannot be a bad investment at all :P.

Tech Convert

Awesome! That Midi-Fighter does look pretty epic, Might play around with the Spin for a little bit to see if i really like it and scrape up some $$ and buy myself a Midi-Fighter.

Also are there any custom overlays for the spin at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfuzion View Post
    being the money spending whore that I am
    With you all the way on that one brother. It really doesn't take much to convince me to buy new gear!

The midifighter idea came from using my friend's Akai MPD24 the other night, never realised so much was possible with just pads and how nice it is to have big tactile buttons! Then went off and watched the deckalized mapping video and read a few forum posts and now I'm in that terrible situation where the gearfreak devil on my right shoulder has decided to buy it, and the puny accountant angel on my other shoulder is putting up a pathetic fight.

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    With you all the way on that one brother. It really doesn't take much to convince me to buy new gear!

The midifighter idea came from using my friend's Akai MPD24 the other night, never realised so much was possible with just pads and how nice it is to have big tactile buttons! Then went off and watched the deckalized mapping video and read a few forum posts and now I'm in that terrible situation where the gearfreak devil on my right shoulder has decided to buy it, and the puny accountant angel on my other shoulder is putting up a pathetic fight.
    That made me laugh, i'm the same exact way. Hell I have a Maschine and I am sure I can map it to do the same exact thing, but I want a sleek sexy new midi-fighter :[.

Glad to know i'm not alone!

I think there are probably a lot of people like us out there on the DJTT underground, surviving as soldiers of fortune... If we've got a problem, and the gear we have doesn't do it exactly the way we want it to although there's probably a workaround, and if we can find it... we will buy it.

I hope you picked up on that horribly misquoted mess of a TV reference.

Indeed you could map your maschine to do it, but you wouldn't be able to close your eyes and imagine you're playing space invaders while you DJ.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast