So how many of you folks mix harmonically? - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
    Errrr, if these are going to be given out, I'll have two please, thanks.

Make it an even stick and we'll make a night of it

I dont but i think people do it subconciously, when we pick tracks that'll go great together
    generally they have a the same feel, just cause we dont break out a spectrum analyser doesnt mean our ears cant spot a key-clash.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I think every DJ that's half decent does it they just may not use software or fancy colored pinwheels to tell them how to do it.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Hi jack, im quite interested in this subject, and am looking for advice on which programme is best to get the key of your tracks. Is mixshare rapid evo anygood? is mixed in key as good as all the dj's claim on there website? is it worth the $58?? or is there a better programme than these out there for a mac?
    MacBook Pro 17" | 1 x Kontrol S4 | 2 x Technics 1210mk2 | Ortofon Elektro's | TSP | Facebook Soundcloud Mixcloud

Tech Mentor

it is a waste to spend money in a software that is half accurate. Every one even without formal music training can distinguish if two songs are in key if not, i do not know how can you become a good dj. Next step is the "crowd reader" software

Quote Originally Posted by paulmac View Post
    Hi jack, im quite interested in this subject, and am looking for advice on which programme is best to get the key of your tracks. Is mixshare rapid evo anygood? is mixed in key as good as all the dj's claim on there website? is it worth the $58?? or is there a better programme than these out there for a mac?
    Rapid Evolution sucks balls. Totally unstable and inaccurate to boot.
    Last edited by fullenglishpint; 01-18-2011 at 11:39 AM.

I'd just like to point out that although MIK and other key detection software is not totally accurate, it's not awful. Everyone's probably read the DJTT article which showed some poor results, but as they pointed out:

Quote Originally Posted by DJ TechTools Blog
    It should be said that this test can only provide a look at the accuracy of each of these programs relative to each other, rather than an assessment of the overall accuracy
    There are some problems with the software but it helps you out and if you cue up a track in your cans and it clashes then you won't play it, simple.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    The music theory comment was simply to state that I know why MiK doesn't work and probably never will and why even when it does it doesn't tell the whole story.
    Whatever you do, don't tell this to the dj's that used to sit down with a keyboard and would manually work out what key their tracks were in and write them on the record sleeve.

Sure would have taken a lot more time back then.

For what it is worth, I find MIK handy for when I don't have a spare 5 minutes in the mix trying to figure out if something is in key or clashing. If I'm running out of time, I like having a short list of tracks that'll help me find something quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by dafe View Post
    Whatever you do, don't tell this to the dj's that used to sit down with a keyboard and would manually work out what key their tracks were in and write them on the record sleeve.
    What I do. I'd rather rely on my ears than software, and even if I did use software, I'd double check with my keyboard just to make sure...double the work then, so why not only use the keyboard in the first place.
    CDJ400s, Ecler Nuo, XD 53
    KRK RP8sFG

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    Take a chill pill. Maybe one with a superman logo on the front.
    K.

Quote Originally Posted by Threefeet View Post
    Not one of my deep house playing friends do it either but then I'm guessing they probably are doing it without realising it!
    Probably. I noticed a long time ago–right after I learned to beat match–that if it was hard to do the mix would sound like @$$. I think that's why, and it takes the same 30 seconds you should probably be spending cuing a track anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by tito View Post
    it is a waste to spend money in a software that is half accurate. Every one even without formal music training can distinguish if two songs are in key if not, i do not know how can you become a good dj. Next step is the "crowd reader" software

Quote Originally Posted by dafe View Post

Sure would have taken a lot more time back then.

For what it is worth, I find MIK handy for when I don't have a spare 5 minutes in the mix trying to figure out if something is in key or clashing. If I'm running out of time, I like having a short list of tracks that'll help me find something quicker.
    Takes about 10 seconds to find the key with a guitar…and I'm not a very good guitarist. It takes even less time to hear a clash.

And once again…when you play records away from 0% pitch, they're not in a key. There will almost always be something of a clash unless the phase of the moon is just right and you're wearing your lucky socks……and people still did that forever.

I'm not mad at people who want to elevate their mixing or whatever phrase we're using this week…I'm mad at MiK, RE, and the other software makers for lying to people and selling a shoddy product that teaches people to be lazy and convinces many to stop learning.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast