So how many of you folks mix harmonically?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default So how many of you folks mix harmonically?

So as the title states, just wondering how many people here actually mix harmonically.

To me, it's a really interesting concept. I see the musical theory behind it, and it makes a lot of sense. Actually seeing it done in practice? I don't really know. I know none of my friends who are DJ's do it.

I just bought Mixed in Key. Currently analyzing my tracks and such at the moment. I have it currently putting the key information into the comments tab (which I haven't really been using). As stated in another thread, I've made my decision to go with CDJ's, and am going to be shortly organizing my music onto CD's, and plan on putting this information on there (even if I don't make use of it right away).

But how many of you guys actually put forth the effort to mix harmonically? Do you feel it's made you better if so? For those that don't, any particular reason?
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Guru

I do...It opens up doors I never would have thought of. I guess I always mixed this way by ear but it sure helps.
    :: Kontrol Z2 :: :: Technics 1200 :: :: Pioneer DJM 250 :: Kontrol X1 MkII :: :: Maschine :: :: Kontrol S4 ::

I honestly meant to put a poll on this thread, but totally got a phone call and smoked a bowl. There's a 5 minute limit from posting the thread to when you can post the poll. So o well lol.

Yeah, it seems rather intuitive.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Mentor

I'm always mixing in key.

You can easily get away without mixing in key with effects and slams.

MIK is the most accurate program, but I think it has something within the lines of 1 in 3 songs being wrong. There was a DJTT's blog on the different programs and there accuracy some time last summer. Your ears are still the most accurate.

Overall your mixes will just sound better and smoother harmonically then they did before.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I do sometimes if the music I'm playing really needs to be mixed. I'll even organize by key to a point on soem of my other sets to.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by BigC View Post
    I honestly meant to put a poll on this thread, but totally got a phone call and smoked a bowl. There's a 5 minute limit from posting the thread to when you can post the poll. So o well lol.
    thats been my problem all day. nothing has gotten done other than for me getting drunk and stoned all afternoon/evening.

oh well indeed.

sorry that was off topic. i havnt done it with traktor, but im messing with djing in ableton and have been using MIK to pick tracks and whatnot to sample and loop in LIVE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

the real question is who is mixing hip hop in key? I'd like to hear that.

I mix in key using Mixshare Rapid Evolution 3. It works pretty damn good for my dubstep tracks and its free!

i dont mix in key, but then again i rarely (sadly) ever play on the fly, unless im putting together my next mix

so if i fuck up i can go back to my mix in point and look for a better song.

but when i do mix on the fly i just hop playlist to playlist (im not playing for a crowd, just a couple of friends, so mixing in key really isnt the biggest concern in dubstep as long as you dont crash and go from epic build up to a deep-chilled-bass-heavy-not-much-else-going-on track)
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

sebastiannz

I almost always mix in key. I find it makes my mixing way smoother and being able to go up a key or two to increase the energy sounds great.

On the other hand I've noticed sometimes I'll choose the wrong track for the mood or moment just because it's in key. A different track would have been better ...but I missed it because I've narrowed my selection down. So I try to force myself to focus on the best track for the moment, rather than the one that's in key.

anyway, for tone deaf dj's like me...key mixing is a god send.
    Last edited by sebastiannz; 01-18-2011 at 12:39 AM.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast