2 x Ableton DJs (advice needed within!)

Default 2 x Ableton DJs (advice needed within!)

Hey everyone,

Quick question. If I was looking at doing something that felt more "live" for a group of 3/4, and we were thinking of using 2x laptops both running ableton, what sort of mixes could we put together?

What I mean is, is 2xlaptops running ableton any more special then 1xlaptop.

Thanks!

I just want to add what gear you think would be needed as well. I am thinking the APC40 but would 2 APC's be needed? Would we have one mixer for both of them, with one guy controlling what comes out and the other 2 on the laptops?

I think the guy on the mixer would have a hell of a boring job...
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

^^^^ lol yeah right?

depends on what you want to spend. it seems like this is a sweet like mega band idea, so you should prob watch some SHM stuff (they have three) or daft or other dj collabs to see how they do it best.

i think one apc40 (you could add a 20 -- or another 40 :eek: -- if you feel you "need it" you prob wont). then something that will run traktor (s4/vci/other controller/dvs) so you could keep music mixes going on the fly through traktor and then use samples and make other beats and such on the apc(s) with the mixer inbetween you guys (or one for each of you plugged into a master you dont use -- but that feels like overkill )
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

If I had to spin with 2 other people I'd probably get really pissed off very quickly... 3's a crowd! I like mixing b2b with a mate but couldn't handle more than that.

My dirty mind just read that and didn't like what it heard :/
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Guru

theres plenty on offer to do,

in my t squared project, the two of us share the physical mixing on the mixer (usually djm800, 2 channels each)
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

No running multiple laptops wont make anything more special really, though it will give you more cpu power to work with.

If i was going to team up with someone personally id build it all from the one computer so a tighter integration of the two setups could be achieved.

Its not like Traktor where your suddenly going to get more decks and more effects to play with.