Help on buying speaker drivers?
    Tech Student

Default Help on buying speaker drivers?

I recently blew a speaker like the douche I am.

I was wondering (as i am replacing the whole speaker now) if i bought a 15" driver at 500w and a 2" horn at 400w would that make the 15" driver more stronger than the horn in the master mix and would that also mean I had a master mix of 900w ?

This is very confusing for me thanks for your help

also is the impedance (Ohms) defined by the drivers or by the cross over?

Tech Guru

the impedance should ideally match the output of your amp...just replace like for like would be my advice..

whats the spl? a common mistake is to assume that a higher wattage equals louder, but it does not work like that in reality....ohms matter....plus a 2inch horn at 400watts is crazy, id be surprised if the one installed is rated at that...the crossover inside the speaker will determine how loud the horn is
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Tech Student

I was just using the horn figure as an example

I want to build my own speaker basically i have a enclosure and a crossover but i need a horn and a mid/bass driver and i would like them to be 800w and 4ohms at 15 Inches is it possible and would i have to replace my crossover? because the speaker it is used in at the moment is an 8 ohm speaker.

Cheers

Tech Mentor

I highly recommend you post this question on this forum:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/
    They're usually pretty freindly and they can figure out a cheap solution for you to get the most bang for your buck.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Gooch View Post
    I highly recommend you post this question on this forum:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/
    They're usually pretty freindly and they can figure out a cheap solution for you to get the most bang for your buck.

Agreed...parts express is a great resource.
    :: Kontrol Z2 :: :: Technics 1200 :: :: Pioneer DJM 250 :: Kontrol X1 MkII :: :: Maschine :: :: Kontrol S4 ::