sound proofing
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: sound proofing

  1. #1
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Duluth, Minnesota
    Posts
    139

    Default sound proofing

    ok, so i need to sound proof my friends basement, we're starting to have a lot of parties there. rock shows, electronic shows etc. its actually pretty sweet.

    but anyways. do you guys have any ideas on how to sound proof for cheap? lol most foam cost like 35 dollars a sq foot. to expensive for a college house lol

  2. #2
    Banhammerized theory28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,974

    Default

    rug/ carpeting might help

    anything that will dampen the sound. but keep in mind this also affects the rooms acoustics
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

  3. #3
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Boston/Worcester
    Posts
    1,067

    Default

    Finished basement???

  4. #4
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Duluth, Minnesota
    Posts
    139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    Finished basement???
    unfinished
    concrete floors and walls and an open ceiling

  5. #5
    Banhammerized theory28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,974

    Default

    sounds like my basement. giant echo chamber.

    well, not a lot of echo but everything is a bit amplified.

    like i said, rugs and carpeting and such hung up along the walls and on the floor should help.

    at least on the far walls
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

  6. #6
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Duluth, Minnesota
    Posts
    139

    Default

    the problem is though, outside.
    its not really really loud. but he lives downtown duluth, and the speakers are next to the wall so it rattles the outside and you can kinda hear it

  7. #7
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Boston/Worcester
    Posts
    1,067

    Default

    Rockwool insulation kicks ass if the ceiling isn't insulated yet. Might be able to convince the homeowner to foot the bill for the insulation because it is expensive. He gets free labor, insulation from a cold room, and it doubles as a fire barrier and sound barrier. If not you could get some cheap sheets of cork board and lay em up against the walls when u decide to rage. Be surprised how much it will dampen the sound.

  8. #8
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Duluth, Minnesota
    Posts
    139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    If not you could get some cheap sheets of cork board and lay em up against the walls when u decide to rage. Be surprised how much it will dampen the sound.

    and rage we will

    thanks for the ideas guys

  9. #9
    Dr. Bento BentoSan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    6,356

    Default

    That foam your talking about is for treating a rooms acoustics and NOT soundproofing - the foam will do very very very very very little (to nothing at all) about stopping the sound from escaping the room.

    If the basement is truely a basement in the sense that the whole thing is underground you don't have to worry about treating the walls as the sand around the house is going to do a fab job of stopping the sound. You will however want to use a couple thick layers of soundproofing gyprock on the ceiling to stop the sound going through the house and escaping out that way.

  10. #10
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Duluth, Minnesota
    Posts
    139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    That foam your talking about is for treating a rooms acoustics and NOT soundproofing - the foam will do very very very very very little (to nothing at all) about stopping the sound from escaping the room.

    If the basement is truely a basement in the sense that the whole thing is underground you don't have to worry about treating the walls as the sand around the house is going to do a fab job of stopping the sound. You will however want to use a couple thick layers of soundproofing gyprock on the ceiling to stop the sound going through the house and escaping out that way.
    its only half way underground

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •