What do i need for my first gig??
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
  1. #1

    Default What do i need for my first gig??

    Hey Guys,

    I just booked my 1st gig, Ive have been a bedroom DJ for about a year now and I have a Vestax Typhoon, Traktor LE, and a laptop. I was thinking of getting two Mackie 15" Thumps, but what do i need besides that or can i just run a rca to xlr cable to each one of the speakers and go to gig???

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Tech Guru Coldfuzion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,100

    Default

    Well are you playing at a club or a house party kind of a thing?

    For a house party, I had created a checklist when I first joined these forums taking into account what everyone suggested it.

    Here it is -->
    Checklist:
    [ ] Laptop (And Wires)
    [ ] DJ Controller (And Wires)
    [ ] Speakers / PA System
    [ ] Headphones
    [ ] Flashlight (Pref. LED)
    [ ] Power Strip (The bigger the better, WITH Surge Protection)
    - Or someone suggested either carrying two smaller ones
    - Or carry two big power strips [this is what I would do]
    [ ] Extra AC Adaptor
    [ ] Extra Batteries (All types)
    [ ] Extra TRS 1/4" or RCA Cables
    [ ] A couple of tools:
    - Pliers
    - Knife
    - Saw [I would not recommend walking around or to a gig with a chain saw, just from personal experience]
    - Screwdrivers
    - Electrical Tape
    [ ] Ipod or some sort of music that can be left playing by itself for a bit.
    [ ] Gaffer Tape
    [ ] Ground Loop Isolator
    [ ] Jack to Phono Lead
    [ ] XLR Big-Jack Converter

    Hope this helps!

  3. #3
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Gainesville/Miami Florida
    Posts
    953

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DjRaulMartinez View Post
    Hey Guys,

    I just booked my 1st gig, Ive have been a bedroom DJ for about a year now and I have a Vestax Typhoon, Traktor LE, and a laptop. I was thinking of getting two Mackie 15" Thumps, but what do i need besides that or can i just run a rca to xlr cable to each one of the speakers and go to gig???

    Thanks in advance.
    Where are you spinning?

    How many people are expected?

    Do you know the music they are planning on hearing?

    What color are your shoes?

    These are all questions that need answering so we may better help you.
    GPS of Fresh Wet Paint | "Always Fresh n' Sticky"
    DJEditorHugger

    Fresh Wet Paint: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud | Site
    GPS: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud

  4. #4
    Tech Guru tyfurious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    798

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gianmarco View Post
    Where are you spinning?

    How many people are expected?

    Do you know the music they are planning on hearing?

    What color are your shoes?

    These are all questions that need answering so we may better help you.
    The shoe part is really important.

    Add water and a small snack... DJing hungry/thirsty sucks.
    Traktor/Itch: Xone Dx - MidiFighter x1
    Ableton: Livid Code - iPad - KP3
    Tech: Macbook Pro 17", intel i7, 8gb RAM, 500gb HD 7200RPM

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gianmarco View Post
    Where are you spinning?

    How many people are expected?

    Do you know the music they are planning on hearing?

    What color are your shoes?

    These are all questions that need answering so we may better help you.
    Its at a small bar

    About 40 people maximum on the dance floor

    Its going to mainly Hip-Hop, Top 40, and some House.

    Its a party for my fraternity and they all know what i play.

    Rocking some Sperry's right now in navy blue

  6. #6
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Gainesville/Miami Florida
    Posts
    953

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DjRaulMartinez View Post
    Rocking some Sperry's right now in navy blue
    Ok, this is all I needed to know.

    Now get the following:

    - 1 half-empty can of Pepsi (preferably the "Throwback" kind)
    - Your apartment/house keys
    - A container of chloroform
    - 7 feet of rope.
    - A small, half-full salt container.

    Now, on the day of your gig, the following should happen in order. The materials listed above are to help you in the coming series of events.

    About midway through your set, someone (it could be someone you know, but odds are it will be some random hot chick) will ask about your shoes. It is imperative you wear these shoes to the gig. As soon as she does, run to the storage area (be sure to leave a long track playing). As soon as you get there drop your keys and bend over to pick them up. Once you get back up, a man will be right in front of you, offering to sell you housecleaning supplies. Show him your flask full of chloroform as a sign that you already have cleaning supplies and he will walk away.

    Now start making your way back to the booth. Midway there get your rope, tie one end to something on one side of the walkway (a pole of some sort if preferred, but a stool in which someone is sitting on will do if need be). Once tied, go to the other side, sit on the floor, and count to 10. When you get to 10, pull the rope with all your strength. You now have tripped someone carrying a drink that would have spilled it on your gear. Get up and walk it off as if you had nothing to do with it (use the half empty Pepsi can to add to this guise), and head to the booth.

    By now you should be some 5 feet from the booth. Before you take your first step into it, throw the partially filled container of salt straight up. When it comes back down it will knock a man unconscious. But, low and behold, he was going to push you onto your gear.

    If all this was done correctly, you would have completely saved your first gig while still having plenty of time to mix in the next song.


    Aside from that, you can just hook up one Makie and connect the other one to it via the through XLR.

    Have fun!
    Last edited by GPS; 01-18-2011 at 10:53 PM.
    GPS of Fresh Wet Paint | "Always Fresh n' Sticky"
    DJEditorHugger

    Fresh Wet Paint: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud | Site
    GPS: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud

  7. #7
    Dr. Bento BentoSan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    6,356

    Default

    Is the bar supplying the speakers or do you have to supply your own ?

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Is the bar supplying the speakers or do you have to supply your own ?
    Have to get my own

  9. #9
    Banhammerized theory28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,974

    Default

    im confused, is this a gtfo plan

    or a kidnap/ rape set up?

    if its the second option, 7 feet IS NOT ENOUGH





    not that i would know, its just too short. lets leave it at that.
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

  10. #10
    Tech Convert
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gianmarco View Post
    Ok, this is all I needed to know.

    Now get the following:

    - 1 half-empty can of Pepsi (preferably the "Throwback" kind)
    - Your apartment/house keys
    - A container of chloroform
    - 7 feet of rope.
    - A small, half-full salt container.

    Now, on the day of your gig, the following should happen in order. The materials listed above are to help you in the coming series of events.

    About midway through your set, someone (it could be someone you know, but odds are it will be some random hot chick) will ask about your shoes. It is imperative you wear these shoes to the gig. As soon as she does, run to the storage area (be sure to leave a long track playing). As soon as you get there drop your keys and bend over to pick them up. Once you get back up, a man will be right in front of you, offering to sell you housecleaning supplies. Show him your flask full of chloroform as a sign that you already have cleaning supplies and he will walk away.

    Now start making your way back to the booth. Midway there get your rope, tie one end to something on one side of the walkway (a pole of some sort if preferred, but a stool in which someone is sitting on will do if need be). Once tied, go to the other side, sit on the floor, and count to 10. When you get to 10, pull the rope with all your strength. You now have tripped someone carrying a drink that would have spilled it on your gear. Get up and walk it off as if you had nothing to do with it (use the half empty Pepsi can to add to this guise), and head to the booth.

    By now you should be some 5 feet form the booth. Before you take your first step into it, throw the partially filled container of salt straight up. When it comes back down it will knock a man unconscious. But, low and behold, he was going to push you onto your gear.

    If all this was done correctly, you would have completely saved your first gig while still having plenty of time to mix in the next song.


    Aside from that, you can just hook up one Makie and connect the other one to it via the through XLR.

    Have fun!
    Epic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •