Any Unix/Linux OS users?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default Any Unix/Linux OS users?

Hey all, I've lurked around here for a while but this is my first post. So I recently got my laptop stolen and only have access to an older one running Linux Ubuntu. So I guess my question is; has anybody had any experience running Traktor Pro, Ableton, etc. in an emulator such as wine? I figure this is the perfect opportunity to upgrade my software (I've only been playing around with less powerful programs in the past).

Tech Guru

if youre running linux. id pretty much only look at mixx. everything else is going to require way more tweaking and emulating and troubleshooting the issues that will bring to the table than is really worth investing time into.

just run mixx until you can get a better laptop.

sorry your stuff got stolen though.

good luck.
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

I'm a Linux whore and have never bothered. Just seems like it would end in tears.

Tech Guru

Your best bet is to get a stripped down version of xp can normally get sumthing that is smaller then 200 meg. Stop all uncessicary process's and you will probs have somthing more effecient to run your chosen dj software on. You will need a virtual os system that supports usb devices to use your controller with it.

Yeah…linux doesn't work for audio stuff well. Mixxx only sucks less than the alternatives, though xwax might be catching up.

I use linux all the time, but not for audio. And I haven't had any luck with wine in general. I mean, yeah…it gets things to run. Most normal apps are fine, some games are okay. Nothing performs perfectly.

And now is not the time to upgrade software. Now is the time to hope your laptop was insured.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by tombruton69 View Post
    Your best bet is to get a stripped down version of xp can normally get sumthing that is smaller then 200 meg. Stop all uncessicary process's and you will probs have somthing more effecient to run your chosen dj software on. You will need a virtual os system that supports usb devices to use your controller with it.
    If by "virtual os system" you mean running in a virtual machine (which I suspect you do), I'll have to disagree. Running in a VM adds big time to the audio latency. I've read reports by various people measuring up to 700 (!!) ms of latency. It's also my understanding that ASIO drivers can be a bitch to set up. Sometimes, ASIO4ALL is all you get to work.

So virtual machine is def not worth the trouble. Wine may be worth a try (a JACK driver for Wine seems to exist) but I suspect you'll get lots of headaches. Thus, while I'm generally a Linux fanboi, I use Windows for real-time audio stuff. If I was to use Linux for real-time audio, my choice would be Mixxx.
    Last edited by itskindahot; 01-19-2011 at 08:57 AM.

i tried it several times via wine, but failed to even get it running.
    had it working on an XP in virtual box, but only got stuttering... too much glitch, even for my taste!

Tech Guru

I have not actually run anything like traktor in a virtual OS however latency should not be an issue if you are using a stripped down windows and sumthing like damn small linux. It wont be pritty but can work very efficently. However getting it to work well will be a headache and a half.

Easy option is to use mixxx you will also need to look at driver compatibility. You need a sound card that will work most do to be fair

Learn C and help make mixxx into a better program.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by tombruton69 View Post
    I have not actually run anything like traktor in a virtual OS however latency should not be an issue if you are using a stripped down windows and sumthing like damn small linux. It wont be pritty but can work very efficently. However getting it to work well will be a headache and a half.
    You cannot use Damn Small Linux (DSL) as the host. Virtualbox requires a host with 2.6.xx kernel. DSL has a 2.4.xx kernel.
    Last edited by itskindahot; 01-19-2011 at 11:54 AM. Reason: reduced snarkiness

I use a Unix machine -- it's Mac OSX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast