TT type - Does it matter with DVS?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default TT type - Does it matter with DVS?

I'm in the market for 2 TT and wanted to know from users who have played with one or the other, or both, which they would recommend. I want to get either the Technics MK2 or MK5. When it comes to using a DVS with these decks, is there a difference worth noting? The DVS that I plan on using is the new Traktor software coming out (I realize you can't compare with this yet, just letting you know) or TSP if it is gonna take another 4 or 5 months for NI to release the new software/hardware.

I was kinda leaning toward MK5 just because there is no lock at the 0 on the pitch slider, therefore allowing for slighter adjustments around the 0 mark. Feel free to set me straight on that if I'm wrong. Also, are there that many MK2 users that find they want to go higher then a 3 setting on anti skate adjustments? I plan to do a little scratching, but nothing like DMC champs. The music I play is mainly top 40/hip hop. Thanks for the guidance.

you never use the anti skate settings when you scratch. keep it at 0 if you're going to ruin records.

if you can find a deal on a mk5, then go for it. if you do end up only getting a mk2, do the mod to remove the ball bearing from the pitch fader and check the stroboscope to see if there is a double 0 in the pitch range. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbdK94vl_Bs

Tech Mentor

Default Understand, but

Cerna,

The mod to remove ball bearings, stroboscope, double 0 - you schooled me there as I was unfamiliar with these terms. Then I watched the video & was educated. Thanks for including that as it really helped. I'm kinda leaning towards the MK5 still just so I wouldn't have to do a mod.

However, when it comes to anti skate I still need some more info. You said you never want to use it and leave it at 0 when you scratch. How does leaving it at 0 not allow the tonearm to move inward towards the center of the platter. Isn't that movement towards the center a given when the setting is 0? You'd recommend eliptical needles for scratching too right? Everyone else agree that 0 is a proper setting with anti skate for scratching?

anti stake doesnt stop the needle from running the length of a record. A record is made of a spiralled groove, even timecode, so no matter what anti skate setting you use, your tonearm will always move towards the center of the record over time.

Anti skate merely adjusts where the needle sits in the groove of the record. Too much anti skate and your needle will jump out of the groove easily, ideally you want anti skate set at 0 so the tonearm doesnt move on its own when your balancing your tonearm.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Quote Originally Posted by Chelan View Post
    You'd recommend eliptical needles for scratching too right?
    guessing this is a joke.

Tech Mentor

Default no joke

Cerna,

Sorry you thought I was joking. I'm just trying to learn and apparently I got a lot of that to do. I watched a YouTube video and that is where I came up with the idea or the thinking that I needed those kinds of needles. So correct this guy if he's not correct.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIBtZR941Yw

So if I want the anti skate at 0, why are there even 4 (0-3 on the MK2) or 7 (0-6 on the MK5) settings to choose from. If I'm understanding you and Flash101uk right, it is that you guys hardly touch the ant-skate setting? Thanks for the replies from both of ya.

the anti skate settings are there because the turntable was originally designed for hi-fi listening. it just happened to be solid enough for djing [the sl1200 mk2 model].

but as a dj, if you are going to be doing any heavy back-cueing or scratching, you want the anti-skate set to 0 because if you don't, the needle is going to skip out of the groove.

for any dvs, you would choose any cartridge and stylus combo that has low record wear and high output. something like shure's m44-7.

but, if you were also still using vinyl, and wanted slightly better sound then something like shure's m44-g.
    Last edited by Jason Cerna; 01-21-2011 at 10:43 AM.

Tech Mentor

Default MK5 anti-skate

Thanks for all the info again. But can anyone give a reasoning for more anti-skate adjustments in the MK5? After talking to another DJ over the weekend, he too told me he may rarely get to the "1" adjustment (usually more around .5) on his MK2s.

So why would Technics make a table (in 2002 - so we know it was geared for DJs specifically) and increase anti-skate adjustments when it seems as if the ones on the MK2 were plenty enough? Doesn't seem to make much sense. Was it for people like me that don't know much and just assume more is better?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Chelan View Post
    Thanks for all the info again. But can anyone give a reasoning for more anti-skate adjustments in the MK5? After talking to another DJ over the weekend, he too told me he may rarely get to the "1" adjustment (usually more around .5) on his MK2s.

So why would Technics make a table (in 2002 - so we know it was geared for DJs specifically) and increase anti-skate adjustments when it seems as if the ones on the MK2 were plenty enough? Doesn't seem to make much sense. Was it for people like me that don't know much and just assume more is better?
    It is possible that the mk5 doesn't offer more adjustments it just has more numbers for the same range, to make the changes more precise.
    But it's just a thought.
    15.4 mbp i5, NI X-1(x2), Allen & Heath Xone-42, NI Audio 4dj , TSP 2.0.1, Stanton Uberstand.

Tech Mentor

Default a good thought

Hey Philippro - good thought on the difference in anti-skate adjustments between the MK2 and MK5. I've kinda been looking into that a bit today but haven't been able to tell much if that is the case or not.

Also regarding Technics and DVS: the MK5G's have a digital pitch adjustment compared to an analog one on a MK2 or MK5. Has anyone that spins on an MK2 or MK5 had compatibility problems with their DVS pitch adjustment? Does digital (or computerized) pitch adjustment make it easier or harder to maintain pitch control?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast