Thread: Newbie

Tech Wizard

Default Newbie

Hey guy's new to the site/dj world...... Any tips hint's ideas you can give me is greatly appreciated!

Im going to be going with a midi controller. Any ideas on the best combination for newb?

Let me know

djky

Filterkat

sorry to sound rude or anything... but have you done any research yourself at all? look at some stuff yourself, and then suggest to people and ask them if there is a simmilar but better alternative... "midi controllers" is a very broad range of controllers. My synthesizer has midi, and i could DJ with that if i really wanted to.

Theres all in one, Modular, Compact, Experimental, DIY, Using other Midi products to use to DJ (EG Maschine, or an MPD) all sorts of different controllers and solutions for different people. Do you have any DJ software? if not, what software do you intend on going for? theres Traktor (LE, Duo, Scratch Duo, Pro, Scratch Pro), Serato, VDJ, Mixvibes, Mixmeister, Ableton and im sure theres more. All these different softwares all allow you to do different things and are presented in different ways. All with different price ranges as well, some of them you can get for free, to some going all the way up to 1000 bucks. If your going midi only... do you have an Audio Interface... if not, what sort of audio interface are you going to need? Output only, In's and outs, How many?, Timecode support?

Whats your budget? do you only want to spend $300? $500? $1000? $5000?

Its like asking someone else "what car should i get?" without giving them any other insights as to what you want from your car... Do you want a sports car? do you want a luxury car? do you want an economy car? do you want a car with lots of bootspace? Do you want just a cheap car that works?

you have to figure out what you want to get from it, and what you intend to do with it before asking questions. Do some of your own reasearch, and then ask for peoples oppinions on your findings... dont just expect other people to give you all the answers... sorry again if i sound a bit rude, but your question is so broad, its hard to narrow anything down.

Red link in my sig, read. then come back.
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Tech Mentor

get yourself one of these. tell me how it works out.

Tech Wizard

good point, ive done some research, i guess i have alot more to do...

Tech Mentor

Haha Chris Epic. LOL and DJKY think about your budget and if you want to take djing as a pro. But first off you have to get a controller and a sound card. I recomend on the cheap side the numark total controll, ion discover dj. On the more expensive side i recomend the VCIs, Numark NS7. As of sound cards, Go with the audio 2,4,8.... whichever you think you need. Now you're probably wondering about software.... Don't worry about it till you get accoustumed to the controller. Almost all Numark products come with Traktor LE. And so does the sound card. After you get accustomed to mixing, Get some speakers and start rocking the club.

Tech Wizard

Thanks alot!!!!