Riddle me this

Thread: Riddle me this

Default Riddle me this

Hey all

So recently a friend of mine has gotten into DJ-ing and he's went and bought himself a midi controller, an audio 2 soundcard, and he's now got Tpro on his laptop.

I myself also have a midi controller, an audio 2, and Tpro on my laptop as well. The sound system I have is 2 KRK monitors that I can plug directly into my audio 2.

I'm wondering how can we get it setup so that we're both using our laptops simultaneously with the setups that we have and still having it be synced up. We've done a couple of gigs where we used one laptop and both of the midi controllers just banging around on 4 decks but we'd really like to start using two separate laptops if possible and experiment with those possibilities.

So, as I said, how can we do this?
    I'll list all the gear that we've got once again:
    - two separate midi controllers (mine's a vci-100, he's got the scs3 dascratch system
    - two separate audio 2 DJ soundcards
    - two laptops, both with tpro

Thanks for any help guys
    Dancing to good music should be like having sex with the air.

Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/dj-jarvis

get a mixer and try syncing midi through LAN, cause the Adj2 doesnt have any midi connectors.
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

MIDI over LAN is pretty spot on. You'd need an extra sound card tho...
    When we all make music, the God Spirit travels out of our bodies and we become one with each other. And for just a second, there is no war, greed, or hate in the world, just music, the celebration of life. (and usually a party, which is good too!)

He said they already own an audio 2 each.

Filterkat

yea, midi over lan, u could probably do it as midi over wifi aswel... although the only time i tried this it was quite buggy, and one of the midi clocks kept drifting a bit... Either that or if you have any midi controllers like a midi keyboard with midi in/out's... as long as you have 2 controllers with midi ins and outs you could hook up Via midi cable... Otherwise its possible to find some midi interfaces fairly cheap, ive seen some with nothing but a few midi ins and outs on them going for 40 bucks on ebay.

How can a midi clock drift? That doesn't make any sense. It can't drift in relation to itself.

Midi clocks over wifi sounds potentially problematic, wouldn't the latency vary and as a result the amount it has been offset by no long be correct? Just a wild stab in the dark here.

Filterkat

yeah i dont think it was the midi clocks themselves drifting, but they were becoming out of sync with each other... most likely due to changing latency over wifi like you said... im not an expert on the subject, but yeah, midi over wifi is problematic... much better off being hardwired with cables.

Ah that makes sense. I thought he said that he had problems with it over a cable. Shoulda read clearer.