Mixed in Key Poll - Page 2

View Poll Results: Mixed in Key?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I use it, and I've found its actually really accurate.

22 48.89%
  • Yes I use it, and it pisses me off because its wrong most of the time.

3 6.67%
  • No, I dont use it, don't know anyone that does.

12 26.67%
  • No, I dont use it, but I know someone that does and it seems pretty accurate.

5 11.11%
  • No, I dont use it, but I know someone that does and they swear its wrong all the time.

3 6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tech Guru

or this poll's turn =)

im fine with heresay as i trust the members of this forum more than i do any review site tbh.

you get a random sample in here. biased people, unbiased people. i picked the items i picked as a good sample with the help of a friend thats taken 3 semesters of college level statistics =p.
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

I think the % accuracy is misleading, as even the ones that it gets wrong are still likely to be in keys relatively harmonic to each other. I use it anyway, not religiously, but as an additional tool.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by xtianw View Post
    or this poll's turn =)

im fine with heresay as i trust the members of this forum more than i do any review site tbh.

you get a random sample in here. biased people, unbiased people. i picked the items i picked as a good sample with the help of a friend thats taken 3 semesters of college level statistics =p.
    Ok I don't want to turn this thread into another argument lol, but your statistics expert didn't advise you to offer an option of something like 'I use it and find it's accurate some of the time but not always'?

i mean, the 2 options to owners of the software are basically equivalent to 1 star or 5 stars with nothing in between.

I wouldn't say you certainly get a random sample on here either, in general the community here belongs to a rather specific group of DJs.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    Ok I don't want to turn this thread into another argument lol, but your statistics expert didn't advise you to offer an option of something like 'I use it and find it's accurate some of the time but not always'?

i mean, the 2 options to owners of the software are basically equivalent to 1 star or 5 stars with nothing in between.

I wouldn't say you certainly get a random sample on here either, in general the community here belongs to a rather specific group of DJs.
    it's specifically designed for someone to make a asserted decsion about their opinion. It's either good enough, or it isnt.

the idea being, when someone asks you if you should buy something, a useful and valid answer will never, under any circumstance be "maybe". Any answer that isnt yes or no will likely be discounted as "trash data" by the person asking the question anyway.
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Quote Originally Posted by xtianw View Post
    it's specifically designed for someone to make a asserted decsion about their opinion. It's either good enough, or it isnt.

the idea being, when someone asks you if you should buy something, a useful and valid answer will never, under any circumstance be "maybe". Any answer that isnt yes or no will likely be discounted as "trash data" by the person asking the question anyway.
    Fine, but forcing those who have no strong opinion either way will create distorted data. If the fact of the matter is that most owners of the software don't find it to be super accurate but acceptable, say 3-4 stars out of 5 from my previous analogy, the poll should show that rather than manufacturing a polarised result.

And as I mentioned, while this is an interesting poll, more useful would be to find some demonstrable facts about its accuracy by testing it with a large sample of tracks.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    I think the % accuracy is misleading, as even the ones that it gets wrong are still likely to be in keys relatively harmonic to each other. I use it anyway, not religiously, but as an additional tool.
    This is the correct answer.

Tech Guru

Fine, but forcing those who have no strong opinion either way will create distorted data. If the fact of the matter is that most owners of the software don't find it to be super accurate but acceptable, say 3-4 stars out of 5 from my previous analogy, the poll should show that rather than manufacturing a polarised result.

And as I mentioned, while this is an interesting poll, more useful would be to find some demonstrable facts about its accuracy by testing it with a large sample of tracks.
    heres what i was just told.

She asked me initially how many people would participate in the poll. I told her no more than 100 people. So she told me come up with 5 choices. To add middle ground, id need to add 2 more choices 1 for own it, 1 for doesnt own it. making it 8 choices. given that no more than 100 people will likely participate in the poll (and lets be honest, if we get 100 actual mixed in key users in here, it would be nothing short of a miracle), the data numbers would be low and the end result wouldnt garner any meaningful percentages as an end result.

then im told "anyone that doesnt want to give you a yes or no on if you should buy something, well, you probably dont want their opinion anyway as indifference really isnt helpful in getting an answer to the question that youre asking.

so im gonna lay my trust in the cal tech grad. She knows im only on my 3rd college level algebra class. i really dont want her to bombard me with equations i cant solve yet tonight =p

In that case you should be using 2 separate polls, one for those who own it and actually have a valid point of view on the effectiveness of the program, and if you insist another one to find out opinions of those who don't own it. Your starting point should be "what do I want this poll to tell me", and in this case if you want to know what level of accuracy people have found the program to give, those who don't own it are not really a valid target group.

You are correct in stating that you don't want too many options in the middle ground as people will tend not to give useful answers, and your cal tech friend sounds about right in suggesting a set of around 5 options, so in this case I would have offered 4 or 5 options of how accurate people find it, maybe with a simple 'I don't use the program' option as well.

I am a marketing analyst so I know what I'm talking about here.

Tech Guru

I wish someone would do a large scale test of a few hundred songs, maybe even separated by genre, so we could actually have some impirical evidence of its capabilites rather than hear-say.

here here!

i nominate fullenglishpint for president of polls

oh you know that's getting misquoted in my sig

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast