DDJ T1 - my ideal solution?

Default DDJ T1 - my ideal solution?

Hey Guys,

First time posting on the forums but been following for a while now. Basically I've been using Traktor Pro for going on 3 years, bought an Kontrol X1 to accompany my Omni Control last year and when the S4 was announced I decided to upgrade my whole setup.

At first it seemed ideal, I sold my old gear and got an S4 on the first UK shipment. I had the same audio crackle / dropout problems so many other Windows users faced and although it sounded fine with various external soundcards I decided to return the unit - just as well since so many 4 deck mixers have been announced since.

I DJ almost entirely progressive and trance, 4 decks is a must but I rarely found myself utilizing the sample decks or loop recorder (perhaps that's just my mixing style). The most important things for me, in order are:
    1) Reliability
    2) 4 deck functionality with sync
    3) Access to all hot cues

The dude I DJ with thinks laptop djing is the anti-Christ and swears by his CDJ 350 setup. For me, the DDJ T1 seems ideal. He would feel more comfortable playing on it, I would feel more comfortable on his 350s.

It lacks the sample decks and buttons, but I could upgrade to the new software in the future and map shift cues or a midi-fighter to sample deck triggers. I prefer the layout of the T1 but it's seems to be getting such bad press. I feel more than anything I'd be paying for reliability and build quality, I'm willing to sacrifice rarely used features for that.

What do you guys think? The only other option was the S1 but meh, I'm a Traktor fanboy and the slip mode / jog wheel speed adjust wont function in Traktor plus less effects knobs.

I'd just get a 4 channel sound card and then use a 4 channel mixer and whatever controller (or a keyboard mapping) you want to handle your transport functions and such.

Problem with these all in one units is that that you can't upgrade or swap out components that you don't really care for. That and they are bloody huge.

If I were to get a 4 channel all in 1 type thing I'd most likely go for this. http://www.numark.com/ns6

Tech Mentor

^^^ good advice

The t1 looks really nice. But also take a look at the demon mc600.

the numark is nice but lacks enough encoders for effects for me.
    as for the denon, it's a little cramped in layout for my liking and i'd rather have a loop size encoder than buttons.
    i just hope a traktor pro mapping will become available asap for the t1, really love the xone:92 EQ which is lacking on pro s4 and possibly on the soon to be released tpro.

Tech Mentor

I'd just go with 2 X1's and a xone mixer myself but that obv wont go too well with your buddy
    Xone 42, X1, Audio 8, Maschine mikro

I really like the look of the T1. Pioneer pretty much guarantees build quality (let's hope they don't start letting us down with this). Not sure I'd buy it though because I personally don't like 4 deck controllers. I'd much rather have 2 separate controllers each controlling 2 decks. That's just personal choice though. If I WAS going to choose a 4 deck controller though I would choose the Pioneer over the S4 - again that's just personal choice.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by chrisclarkie View Post
    Hey Guys,

First time posting on the forums but been following for a while now. Basically I've been using Traktor Pro for going on 3 years, bought an Kontrol X1 to accompany my Omni Control last year and when the S4 was announced I decided to upgrade my whole setup.

At first it seemed ideal, I sold my old gear and got an S4 on the first UK shipment. I had the same audio crackle / dropout problems so many other Windows users faced and although it sounded fine with various external soundcards I decided to return the unit - just as well since so many 4 deck mixers have been announced since.

I DJ almost entirely progressive and trance, 4 decks is a must but I rarely found myself utilizing the sample decks or loop recorder (perhaps that's just my mixing style). The most important things for me, in order are:
    1) Reliability
    2) 4 deck functionality with sync
    3) Access to all hot cues

The dude I DJ with thinks laptop djing is the anti-Christ and swears by his CDJ 350 setup. For me, the DDJ T1 seems ideal. He would feel more comfortable playing on it, I would feel more comfortable on his 350s.

It lacks the sample decks and buttons, but I could upgrade to the new software in the future and map shift cues or a midi-fighter to sample deck triggers. I prefer the layout of the T1 but it's seems to be getting such bad press. I feel more than anything I'd be paying for reliability and build quality, I'm willing to sacrifice rarely used features for that.

What do you guys think? The only other option was the S1 but meh, I'm a Traktor fanboy and the slip mode / jog wheel speed adjust wont function in Traktor plus less effects knobs.
    I firmly believe that your controller of choice should have a strong impact on what type of sound you play.
    TRANCE/TECHNO
    You really don't need super-duper jog wheels.
    Get the NI S4 and kick the shit out of your trance partner in a DJ battle.
    Note: He will walk away in shame after 3 minutes !!!

Quote Originally Posted by aviatorman View Post
    Get the NI S4 and kick the shit out of your trance partner in a DJ battle.
    Note: He will walk away in shame after 3 minutes !!!
    Pssh. There's more to it then equipment dude!