Beginner DJ setup - help please
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Beginner DJ setup - help please

Hello everyone!

First I would like to introduce myself. I'm a 21-year old student from Rijeka, Croatia (for those of you which don't know where Croatia is, it's a small country next to Italy, and also I would apologize for my english, I know it's not perfect )

Me and my friend are reading and following this blog already a long time, and we've been thinking to start DJ-ing even a longer time.

We would play as a duo, mainly french electro, some drum'n'base and dupstep. Our software of choice is Traktor running on a MBP.
    We have a few questions about the hardware, and hope we could get some help here.
    We've been thinking of the following setup's:

a) Traktor Kontrol S4

b) Kontrol X1 + Audio 2 DJ soundcard + a 3-channel mixer

c) VCI-100 + Audio 2 DJ soundcard

d) your suggestion

+ maybe a small MIDI controller? It would be perfect if you could suggest us something from AKAI or KORG, as those are available here in Croatia. If not we can order it from the internet.

As we are beginners it should be something not to complex to use, but it should be also something what we can use later as we advance. The price range is at the above listed setups. 100-200$ more or less doesn't matter if the other setup is better. We would use the setup in a club when we get good enough, but also for doing some remixes at home.

Thank you for your help!

get a good 4 channel mixer (i would go for the xone 42)
    then a couple of xone 1d's or x1's
    and a soundcard of your choice

i am not a fan really of all in one units,+having a standalone mixer you can add as many midi controllers as you want or if you out grow a bit of kit you can easy replace that part.and you would not have to carry a big unit to gigs just what you needed

Well as for a beginner i don't see the s4 to be starting controller.
    for start you can have X1+ Vci 100 + audio 4 dj. if you intend to mix internally then a2dj will suffice , but if you want to mix externally then the a4dj is a must bcoz you would require 3 outs ,a2dj has only two.
    for doing some remixes at home i think you should have something which has more buttons and knobs. X1 + vci will be enough for club + launch pad for buttons or THE MIDIFIGHTER or an apc 40.
    And will you be getting 2sets of each controller or one set??

Tech Convert

We would start with just one set, and then we would look how it goes

Get one MIDI Mixer and learn that layout, learn traktor, start to develop your technique and how you want to and how you do move... THEN Remap your controls and/remove controllers
    When we all make music, the God Spirit travels out of our bodies and we become one with each other. And for just a second, there is no war, greed, or hate in the world, just music, the celebration of life. (and usually a party, which is good too!)

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    + maybe a small MIDI controller? It would be perfect if you could suggest us something from AKAI or KORG, as those are available here in Croatia. If not we can order it from the internet.
    I love the Akai MPK Mini for a small second controller, amazing functionality for price.

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Akai-MPK-controller-keyboard-mini/dp/B00466HM28"]Akai MPK Mini MIDI controller keyboard with mini keys and drum pads: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41b1vk8XfVL.@@AMEPARAM@@41b1vk8XfVL[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by Maxted View Post
    I love the Akai MPK Mini for a small second controller, amazing functionality for price.
    hundred bucks. useful traktor and ableton(or at the same time controlling effects in ableton over traktor :eek. my most used midi controller. +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Tech Mentor

to option b.) why a 3 channel mixer? the audio 2 will only get you two channels of sound

you could buy an uc-33, audio 2 and the akai mentioned above. the uc-33 gives you control over 4 channel faders+EQ and 4 effects units, the akai can be used for the transport section (play, sync, hotcues etc). simple setup but still lots of options to map more comple stuff

edit: dont see why you'd need the audio 4 for external mixing over the audio 2? I use the audio 2 to mix externally, 3rd output of the audio 4 is a headphone out (?) but you can cue on an external mixer anyway
    Xone 42, X1, Audio 8, Maschine mikro

Quote Originally Posted by Ashigari View Post
    to option b.) why a 3 channel mixer? the audio 2 will only get you two channels of sound

you could buy an uc-33, audio 2 and the akai mentioned above. the uc-33 gives you control over 4 channel faders+EQ and 4 effects units, the akai can be used for the transport section (play, sync, hotcues etc). simple setup but still lots of options to map more comple stuff

edit: dont see why you'd need the audio 4 for external mixing over the audio 2? I use the audio 2 to mix externally, 3rd output of the audio 4 is a headphone out (?) but you can cue on an external mixer anyway
    I actually started out with a UC-33e and an Akai LPD8, quite a capable setup for internal mixing (getting an X1 instead of the LPD8 would be a better option though).
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by djnesquigs View Post
    hundred bucks. useful traktor and ableton(or at the same time controlling effects in ableton over traktor :eek. my most used midi controller. +1
    +1 to MPK Mini too
    I have a Oxygen 8 v2 and everytime I look at the MPK I feel that I could change it if I had the money

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast