Laptop question

Thread: Laptop question

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Default Laptop question

Hey guys

So I've been shopping and pricing out laptops and I found this.

http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g71v-order-p-2497.html

Is there any particular reason it is so much faster than everything else and yet the same cost? I know the 6 gigs of RAM is overkill, but it's included, and if an OS update in the future comes through that reads it I'll be okay.

I guess I'm asking if by buying this I will be screwed.

Thanks
    J
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Who said its faster? It does have a 2.53ghz c2d processor which is preety good for a laptop. 6 gigs of ram will be beneficial when you make that move to windows 7 coming out next year. We are going to start seeing Os's operate in just 64bit processes. Thats the next big move, to bad vista messed it up for people.

btw personally....thats a decent buy for a top of the line computer. It has a blueray, a beast of a video card, an 8 cell battery. Your getting your moneys worth
    Last edited by Krilikz; 12-19-2008 at 11:43 AM.
    Dj Krilikz‡ -

Looks pretty good to me. 8.5 pounds though- that's pretty heavy. But having an e-sata port, firewire, and 1920x1200 resolution is pretty nice.

Although, can it be any uglier?

I have been looking at the Asus range and they are building some cracking spec'd laptops but the weight of this one put's me off. Plus I have just bought a new Macbook Pro.

Its some well spec'd though!

I don't really care about the aesthetics of the style. I'm probably going to stylize it with the stickers I have laying around, and I am more concerned with it not blowing up.

The weight is a concern, but my Uberstand will hold it, and I don't think it's much heavier than the Dell Inspiron I have. Maybe a pound or two.

For the price it just looks amazing. I think I've found my new DAW. Next is putting the stand together I want to use and then, well, the playing begins.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    I am more concerned with it not blowing up.
    My experience with Acer products has allways been good

64bit might be a bit of a concern though if you want to use lots of VSTs in your setup, you will be limited to only using 64bit plugins. There alot alot more plugins written in 32bit as opposed to 64 - if this is a trade off your willing to take go for it.

I use so very few VSTs right now. By the time I start using them they will probably have caught up with the technology.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Yea hes right about the vst thing.....sadly i didnt know about that when i switched my desktop over to 64bit and realized half of my production stuff worked.

You should definitely be set for quite a few years with that laptop though
    Dj Krilikz‡ -

I use so very few VSTs right now. By the time I start using them they will probably have caught up with the technology.
    Sadly no, the big named ones might catch up but there are lots of really awesome freeware 32-bit vsts that wont be seeing upgrades for a long time, if ever. This is definantly something you might want to do a bit of reasearch on.

Well that's just the thing. If you have VSTs you currently like, you might say goodbye to them.

Most of the times they tend to either stick with the old, or make a completely new VST.

But this last option is always one that will seem to take ages.

I am agreeing with Bento here. 32-bits is still the way to go for me.
    (Also because of the 64 bit platform _still_ not being fully supported and understood.)
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --