International music nights

Default International music nights

So I've had a regular slot in a bar just down the road from where I live recently, but it hasn't really taken off massively - it's meant to be a student night mainly for the people at my college, but it's proving pretty difficult to get them try something new (if anyone has any suggestions for that, feel free to throw them out - the drinks are very cheap, the bar is on the way into town towards the other clubs, I'll play any requests people want if I've got them). But that's not the main point of this thread really.

I got chatting to the bar owner last night and he mentioned that he was trying to build up a bank of DJs for an international music night he was involved in at a bigger club, and asked if I'd be interested. I said I'd look into it, because I don't think my music collection includes much "international" music. Trouble is, I don't really know where to start - I'm not going to be having a headline slot so I won't be able to play big tunes, so I somehow to have to find out what's popular but not too popular. In genres that I'm not entirely familiar with. Any ideas?

international? does he mean 'world' music - things like Manu Chao/Debruit/Gotan Project etc?
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Possibly? I dunno, the sort of thing that european students might enjoy. I think he mentioned latin drum and bass as an example.

Oh, so things like Fernanda Porto then?

Might be worth checking out Movement: The Brazilian Job for Latin style DnB ...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Amazon has a lot of world music, but I'm not sure what exactly he wants.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

^ so does itunes
    Dj F.a.R.h.A.n
    hip hop, house, reggaeton, dancehall, afrobeats, and international.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock Ohms View Post
    international? does he mean 'world' music - things like Manu Chao/Debruit/Gotan Project etc?
    In my experience of djing at university social events in UK "International Music" usually means playing popular music from Spain, Italy, Greece, France plus regular UK and US pop/r&b/dance etc

So anything thats radio friendly in those countries.

Not easy to do. The best way is the get someone from each Social events team to send in a top 10. So like the head of the Greek Society would send in their top 10 and so on.

Mix in 10 tunes from the most popular societies with a load of regular top 40 shizzle and you got yourself an "International Night"

Obviously theres 1000s of other countries but i dont think the Botswana Faculty is particularly big at my Uni...!!!

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Bought a few things from here yesterday

http://www.traxsource.com/afrolatin
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x