Pioneer DDJ-T1 - A slap in the face for Traktor users !!!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42
  1. #1
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    56

    Default Pioneer DDJ-T1 - A slap in the face for Traktor users !!!

    Ok, let me start by saying that I was mesmerized when the Pioneer controllers surfaced, but all the excitement has worn down. I finally started opening my eyes.

    Here are my reasons:
    SLAP #1- both units are overpriced; other than the jog wheels there are no moving mechanics... F#@K what the Pioneer fanboys say!

    SLAP #2-The Serato controller has XLR outs- the Traktor version has 1/4" outs. That is a slap. DID YOUR HEAR IT ?????
    If you know anything about professional standards, you might have heard of XLR's...

    Slap #3 - There are no visual guides on the Traktor version; aka LED lights, VU meters, readouts etc. The Serato version has more to offer.
    Now, I know we have our laptop screens, but for $1300 do you think it might help.
    Oh yeah, but you get one LED on each jog wheel that really is a pseudo light show.

    SLAP #4 - Pioneer knobs and buttons suck. The S4 has a better feel on the fingers.
    I had the Pioneer EFX machine for years and the knobs get loose and wobbily over time. That was an analog issue- it will be a disaster in the digital/midi side.

    SLAP #5 - Both Pioneer models units bury your laptop keyboard, and Pioneer overlooked the most vital element for proper laptop maintenance: VENTILATION. Your mac or pc is gonna get pretty hot under there!

    SLAP #6 - The Pioneer units are too big to move around for travel. I doubt they will conform to airline carry-on standards. I would hate to check it in as baggage... good luck! The S4 has a better chance to squeak by.

    SLAP #7 - Say goodbye to song searches- NO QWERTY. Remember- your keyboard is BURIED! This is a fundamental advantage of digital DJing.

    SLAP #8 - The Traktor Pioneer unit has it's very own "customized" version of Traktor software. Big mistake by Native Instruments. They should stick to the program that is uniformly better. Plus, they have Traktor Pro 2 coming in the horizon. You are out-of-the-loop with customization in the Pioneer market. So what happens when we get a NEW version of software? You go out and buy a NEW controller and empty your wallet all over again!

    SLAP #9 - Pioneer/NI, where are the digital outs??? No spdif or AES/EBU !!! I love analog, but we are in 2011. I would like to have the option.

    SLAP #10 - The Pioneer units have one thing going for them: their reputation for being a club standard, but sadly, they have not given us their best jog wheels that made them famous. A smaller scale of the CDJ-1000 jog wheels may have made the asking price a bit more modest.

    EPILOGUE: For $899, the NI S4 is a mindful investment. You are still paying a bit much by my standards (a Technics 1200 turntable goes for about $350 and look at all the mechanics and craftsmanship you get for the $$$$) OK, so I'm old school...
    I am sorry, but this is where I draw the line between controllerists and CDs. Pioneer is bringing the CDJs on board to the midi-controller market, but there is one problem:
    The Pioneer decks are designed for a CDJ- not a controllerist.
    So if you're a CDJ (I doubt it anyway, if you are reading this...), you might really want to do your homework in the midi-controller market if you want to cross over and make a worthwhile investment before you sell off your CDJ players and mixers.

    Lastly, I want to stress one thing. I have DJ'd for nearly 3 decades. Money was easier to make back in the day from gigging. It is tough now. Be wise with your money, and spending more of it won't make you any better. We are in the age of modest pricing- there's a F@#&ING recession going on!!!
    They are all selling chips, rubber and plastic for a lot of money, so be careful!

    -AVIATORMAN
    Last edited by JesC; 01-21-2011 at 06:52 PM.

  2. #2
    DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    6,493

    Default

    you already wrote this in the DDJ T1 thread with the same HUGE sized font

  3. #3
    Tech Mentor Michielygil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dordrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    455

    Default

    dude, nobody tells you you have to buy the piece...

    I'm still very happy with my 2 X1's...
    2x A. Audio HTD 4.5 | Sony MDR 7506 | Xone:4D | Sony Vaio E i7 | 2x KRK 8 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Launchpad | NI Maschine | NI Komplete 8 | Ableton Live 9

  4. #4
    DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sherman, TX
    Posts
    13,939

    Default

    I've said it before and I'll say it again. Those Pioneer controllers will be more for CDJ/TT people that are switching over than for most of the people that frequent this site.
    Chris Jennings FHP

    Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

  5. #5
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    you already wrote this in the DDJ T1 thread with the same HUGE sized font
    my mistake- I meant to start a thread - dude

  6. #6

    Default

    I couldn't disagree more.

    The T1 is reasonably priced for what you get, as in my opinion is the S1. All this rubbish about them being different prices because of different quality is not true, pioneer have already stated it was down to licensing.

    They use more of less the same components as on their CDJ 400s / 350s, which can definately take a beating. Of course you're not going to get CDJ 1k / 2k jogs with this unit - they still want to retain these models as the club standard and it would bump up the price even more, more controllerists (imo) would be more than happy with the 350 jogs and would resent paying more $$ for the 1/2ks.

    You don't need to put your laptop underneath the unit, you can take the legs off it, although I would prefer laptop underneath as it improves visual interaction with the crowd, unlike the S4 case mounted setup.

    I've already mentioned elsewhere that I plan on rolling with the T1 and traktor pro using the akia LPD8 to control filters and gains (eventually sample decks) so that I can use 4 band EQ. The S4's gains aren't particularly nice to remapping for 4 band EQ, and I wouldn't like to lose the filter knobs.

    Just my opinion.

  7. #7
    Tech Guru Conall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    607

    Default

    the "special" version of traktor you get with it is basically duo, but with 4 decks from what i can gather.

  8. #8
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisclarkie View Post
    I couldn't disagree more.

    The T1 is reasonably priced for what you get, as in my opinion is the S1. All this rubbish about them being different prices because of different quality is not true, pioneer have already stated it was down to licensing.

    They use more of less the same components as on their CDJ 400s / 350s, which can definately take a beating. Of course you're not going to get CDJ 1k / 2k jogs with this unit - they still want to retain these models as the club standard and it would bump up the price even more, more controllerists (imo) would be more than happy with the 350 jogs and would resent paying more $$ for the 1/2ks.

    You don't need to put your laptop underneath the unit, you can take the legs off it, although I would prefer laptop underneath as it improves visual interaction with the crowd, unlike the S4 case mounted setup.

    I've already mentioned elsewhere that I plan on rolling with the T1 and traktor pro using the akia LPD8 to control filters and gains (eventually sample decks) so that I can use 4 band EQ. The S4's gains aren't particularly nice to remapping for 4 band EQ, and I wouldn't like to lose the filter knobs.

    Just my opinion.
    Man they got u stuck dont they. More controllerist would like the 350 jogs? lol most controllerists dont use jogs. Ean golden maps his s4 jobs for effects. Laptop underneath is stupid, it hurts visual interaction. with the laptop on a stand all u have to do is look to the left or right and maybe up and there is the crowd. u dont have to look DOWN at ur controller. Plus that is gonna be killer on ur back. IMO the s1 isnt worth anything. Only the pioneer fanboys are gonna buy it
    Equipment------
    --HP Dv6T Select Editon. i5 6gb DDR3, backlit keys and touchscreen.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BennyJ View Post
    Man they got u stuck dont they. More controllerist would like the 350 jogs? lol most controllerists dont use jogs. Ean golden maps his s4 jobs for effects. Laptop underneath is stupid, it hurts visual interaction. with the laptop on a stand all u have to do is look to the left or right and maybe up and there is the crowd. u dont have to look DOWN at ur controller. Plus that is gonna be killer on ur back. IMO the s1 isnt worth anything. Only the pioneer fanboys are gonna buy it
    I still stand by the fact that most controllerists would take larger jogs, even if they were to be mapped to effects. Not all controllerists are beat jugglers, some of us mix in a traditional style whilst taking advantage of laptop DJing benefits (e.g. for Traktor 4 band EQ - cheaper than a xone:92, many easily to manipulate and presave effects, fast and reliable 4 deck mixing)

    I'd much rather be seen looking down at a controller that up at a laptop screen, I think most people would say the same and hence most controllers are drifting towards increased visual feedback on the hardware itself, for example the loop length display on the s4

    Killer on the back? Man up! It's nothing on carrying around a crate of vinyls. I know that portability is an inherent advantage of laptop DJing, but that's not to say that it needs to be pushed to its extreme to sacrafice other factors, most notably build quality.

    I think the T1 / S4 will appeal to laptop DJs like myself that prefer the purely digital format for the bonuses it brings to a traditional mixing style rather than offering an entirely new style of performance. Just my 2 cents

  10. #10
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisclarkie View Post
    I still stand by the fact that most controllerists would take larger jogs, even if they were to be mapped to effects. Not all controllerists are beat jugglers, some of us mix in a traditional style whilst taking advantage of laptop DJing benefits (e.g. for Traktor 4 band EQ - cheaper than a xone:92, many easily to manipulate and presave effects, fast and reliable 4 deck mixing)

    I'd much rather be seen looking down at a controller that up at a laptop screen, I think most people would say the same and hence most controllers are drifting towards increased visual feedback on the hardware itself, for example the loop length display on the s4

    Killer on the back? Man up! It's nothing on carrying around a crate of vinyls. I know that portability is an inherent advantage of laptop DJing, but that's not to say that it needs to be pushed to its extreme to sacrafice other factors, most notably build quality.

    I think the T1 / S4 will appeal to laptop DJs like myself that prefer the purely digital format for the bonuses it brings to a traditional mixing style rather than offering an entirely new style of performance. Just my 2 cents
    to me id rather look at the screen..,mainly cuz my vci has to visual feedback but i see yout point.

    Man up?? Haha im 6' 4'' looking down gets tiring quick.
    Equipment------
    --HP Dv6T Select Editon. i5 6gb DDR3, backlit keys and touchscreen.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •