Guide: Streaming video and or audio (Mac)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Guide: Streaming video and or audio (Mac)

I was going to write this awhile ago but i thought most people would already know how to do it so! this a guide for those who don't.

What you'll need
    Webcam (Video)
    Soundflower
    Stable internet connection

For audio streaming there is a simple application called nicecast
    ( http://www.rogueamoeba.com/nicecast/ ) which i highly recommend and will talk about later

Video streaming
    Step 1:
    Ok so you want to DJ online for your friends show them a mix or two or maybe you want to go on chat roulette and dj for randoms that isn't really important. The first thing you'll need to do is download sound flower
    ( http://cycling74.com/products/soundflower/ ) ok so you've installed sound flower and your all ready to set it up, Open up audio midi setup within your utilities folder

Step 2:
    Once you have opened the application go to the title bar and select window and "Show Audio window" Click the + button at the bottom of the page to create an aggregate device add your main sound output and soundflower 2ch to the aggregate device.Attachment 4400

Step 3:
    Open traktor and we can begin to route the audio start off by setting your master or monitor to your sound cards output, Then set the soundflower output or whatever you named your aggregate device output to the monitor and or master its personal preference or even a mix of both if your so inclined
    Attachment 4401
    Then go to input and set one of the channels inputs to the aggregate device and see if you get a response. If you do all is going well
    Attachment 4402

Step 4: Open up your preferred streaming solution. For this demonstration ill be using Ustream and we can start to configure the settings.
    Attachment 4403 once configured the inputs should show soundflower 2ch as your input and your webcam/video device as the video input. click broadcast and you can start playing to the world from the comfort of your own home

Attachment 4404
    Last edited by DJMilk3y; 01-23-2011 at 09:49 AM.

Extra
    Nicecast setup guide:
    As mentioned previously nicecast is a great solution for streaming plain audio they provide a server and once you've sent the link out anyone can listen

Start by opening the application first before you open traktor or alternatively you can download an addon they provide when you try and open it while traktor is running which allows you to streaming if the application is already opening without restarting.
    set the input to traktor Attachment 4405
    and then go through and tweak the settings to your liking, once completed click broadcast and go to the "Share" tab and click "check now" if its good you can share the "internet" address and start streaming right away if not! dont worry make sure your broadcasting first and if you are and its still not working go into your routers settings and make sure port 8000 is forwarded to port 8000 and that nothing else is blocking itAttachment 4406
    Last edited by DJMilk3y; 01-23-2011 at 09:50 AM.

Tech Guru

Nice tutorial!

Though I want to add that if you have a mac all you need is a splitter stereo y cable, then run one to your mic-in jack and ur good to go. Thats what I do!
    GPS of Fresh Wet Paint | "Always Fresh n' Sticky"
    DJEditorHugger

Fresh Wet Paint: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud | Site
    GPS: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by Gianmarco View Post
    Nice tutorial!

Though I want to add that if you have a mac all you need is a splitter stereo y cable, then run one to your mic-in jack and ur good to go. Thats what I do!
    ahh my line ins already in use i guess thats why i use my method :P thanks for posting though ill have to write that down somewhere

Tech Mentor

Will this work for my situation.....

Ive got and audio 2 and a white macbook. Obviously the audio 2 outputs a master and a monitor. I have a cable going from the master channel on the audio 2 to the macbook line in. I then have headphones in the monitor output. This means I have to mix in my headphones only. Is there a method (maybe what you have described) whereby I can output the audio to my speakers as well?

i havnt figured out a method how to get monitor/master at the same time except with right speaker working and right headphone working which i use sometimes but its not ideal

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Are you guys mixing externally or internally? Nicecast pulls your audio from the source so you shouldn't need any cables since you're telling it Traktor is your source. I also don't make any changes to my audio setup in Traktor or use Soundflower when I'm using Nicecast for my shows. I'm broadcasting to the stations server though so I guess since you're using Ustream that's probably where the difference is.

I will say I had all kinds of issues with getting Nicecast working with my old Linksys router where it would randomly connect and then not connect with no changes made. It was an old router though so I figured I was due an upgrade. I got an Apple Airport and it worked first try with no changes to settings or anything.

A couple of Nicecast tips:
    1. If you have a USB mike you can set it up in effects in Nicecast and have auto ducking.

2. You can set Nicecast to auto archive you're show as soon as you start broadcasting. This is nice because it saves you some time having to open Traktor's wav file and convert it to mp3.

3. If you get lots of buffering on your broadcast lower your bit rate in Nicecast. I use 192kbps, but a few of our other DJ's have to use lower bit rates sometimes. Sound quality won't matter a whole lot because most people will either be using headphones or computer speakers to listen any way.
    Last edited by photojojo; 01-23-2011 at 11:14 AM.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

The nice cast plug was just a little extra the main part is for audio and video which nice cast doesn't provide but yes nice cast is a perfect app for streaming i am mixing internally atm otherwise guess i should've put that in the header

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DJMilk3y View Post
    The nice cast plug was just a little extra the main part is for audio and video which nice cast doesn't provide but yes nice cast is a perfect app for streaming i am mixing internally atm otherwise guess i should've put that in the header
    Yeah, it dawned on my when I was rereading what I typed that you're using Ustream and I'm not. I didn't want to waste all that effort that early in the morning so I went with it anyway.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Yeah, it dawned on my when I was rereading what I typed that you're using Ustream and I'm not. I didn't want to waste all that effort that early in the morning so I went with it anyway.
    :P i know the feeling thanks for the tips though! I'll have to go pickup the airport express? im in need of a new router and i wasn't aware that nice cast could auto archive many thanks master jojo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast