Bootleg remixes(for the older crowed, Whitelabels)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Bootleg remixes(for the older crowed, Whitelabels)

So what is everyone's thoughts here on bootleg/whitelables remixes. In other words I take a track i wasn't commissioned to remix and basically do my own remix of the track. I obviously wouldn't sell it, but i would play it out. Ethical or unethical?

Gee what happened to white-labels now that everythings gone digital? are there whitelabels on beatport? don't think iv seen any, anyone know?
    Acer 1803T - Abelton Live 8 - Audio 2 DJ - Korg Micro X - M-Audio USB - KRK Rockit Monitors - Dell Xeon Desktop - Sony MDR headphones - Fruity loops - Acid Pro - Sound Forge

I love white labels, now it's all digital so finding those are even harder. Now bootlegs just get put up on blogs and such.

Tho I bought a 2 boxes of vinyl, and included was a white label of James brown is dead.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    I love white labels, now it's all digital so finding those are even harder. Now bootlegs just get put up on blogs and such.
    [/QUOTE]

see exactly I used to buy whitelabels all the time, now i dont even know where to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post

Tho I bought a 2 boxes of vinyl, and included was a white label of James brown is dead.
    Acer 1803T - Abelton Live 8 - Audio 2 DJ - Korg Micro X - M-Audio USB - KRK Rockit Monitors - Dell Xeon Desktop - Sony MDR headphones - Fruity loops - Acid Pro - Sound Forge

I produce my own bootlegs all the time and together with my mixing style itīs one of my soundīs most important feature that makes me stand out from the rest in my area.

Tech Mentor

I still buy white labels and bootlegs on vinyl. I think its a shame they are dying out, the whole excitement of playing, and hearing other DJ's play new tunes is almost gone from DJing.
    http://soundcloud.com/jamesT

Macbook/Hercules Steel/Audio 2

Tech Guru

that old james brown is dead isnt a bootleg, thats an original pressing. its first pressing for los angeles i believe was 50 copies that all went to steve loria's shop beat non stop. thats where i bought mine back in the day.

i believe i paid 25 dollars for it at the time.
    Last edited by xtianw; 01-25-2011 at 04:31 AM.
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Bootlegs and Mashes are all over soundcloud and their ilk. You can still buy physical 'white labels' on Juno - one of the last I bought was this one (for the Marvin Gaye remix) - http://www.juno.co.uk/products/push-...mix/409766-01/
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Tech Guru

my problem with giveaway bootlegs is this.

original artist is rarely even asked if it can be given away. if the original artist thinks its cool and posts it on their website thats different.

but if you build a computer program, or i buy a licence for single use ownership of that program, i either steal your program or with the license i bought it with I , and then make it into a different kind of program and decide to give that away.

im still either breaking the terms of the agreement on the sale, or, im giving away stolen property.

so yeah, i avoid them like the plague.

However, if you are just doing them for your own sets, and not re distributing them in any way other than playing out with them. then that falls under the DMCA fair use clause. and thats ok.
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Quote Originally Posted by Florian Arndt View Post
    I produce my own bootlegs all the time and together with my mixing style itīs one of my soundīs most important feature that makes me stand out from the rest in my area.
    that's been going on in melbourne for a few years now.. and all the popular nightspots have a distinct 'sound' that these bootlegs have championed. on itunes check out the "wah wah lounge" and "TFU" podcast for a taste of whats big in melbourne at the moment. personally i dig it.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Making bootlegs or your own remixes is how DJ's get into production. DJ's that can produce good tracks tend to be more successful than DJ's that just play other people's music.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast