Anyone Using the S4 & Traktor W/Ableton??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Anyone Using the S4 & Traktor W/Ableton??

Anyone using the S4 channel D for Ableton? I am trying to get channel D on the mixer set to Ableton. Still working it out in the prefs. Right now I have sound through the S4 from ableton but I am not able to cue or get control from the S4.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Are you switching the S4 to midi mode when you want to control Abelton? I don't think you can cue Abelton through the S4. Hopefully someone will know more than me.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

In midi mode you should be able to map it to control any software.

Sorry I see what he's doing now.
    Not sure how to do this. Probably has to do with the internal routing in preferences, but not sure. If you have another sound card you can just route it through as a live input, and send the midi clock to Ableton to sync.
    Last edited by VanGogo; 01-26-2011 at 09:01 AM.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

When I had the demo of Abelton I couldn't get it to cue properly out of the S4 nor can I get Garage Band to cue properly. I get all other computer sounds through the S4, but not those two programs. I do get sound out of the main outs though in both programs. It was the same with Garage Band and the Audio 4, nothing out of the cue.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Wizard

Default Making progress

I have got the midi mode working, and its syncing with the S4. Even though the BPM's are different between Ableton and traktor.
    I even got the cue to work by routing the cue to channel 3/4 on ableton. Still have not got channnel D on the S4 working as my master for ableton. May have to hook up an Audio 2 Dj for that. I would like that so I can have more control over ableton & traktor on the S4.

Tech Guru

Are you doing it using JackOS X or Soundflower or VAC(if on Win) ?

If I understand correctly you're trying to route the master from Abelton to Channel D of Traktor.

Create an aggregate audio device adding the Traktor S4 soundcard first and then Soundflower.

Switch the Channel D deck to a live input in Traktor's preferences.

Under input routing in Traktor select The 5th and 6th input listed.

In Ableton set the master out to Soundflower's 1st and 2nd output.

You will then be able to control the volume fader, cue, EQs and filter of the Ableton output/input on the channel D of the Kontrol S4 controller. You can program stuff in Ableton with midi mode if you want to.

You can also sync the midi clock so that Ableton stays in sync with Traktor as the master.

Let me know if you have any questions

Chase

Tech Wizard

Lightbulb

Sounds good, I do not know much about soundflower. I have seen it but have yet to incorporate it into my setup. I guess now is the time. I will give what you said a go, and let you know how it ends up. Thanks for the info.

noelflava

Soundflower works. I was able to rout both master and cue to Ableton through it. In Ableton I selected S4 as output and was able to get everything working including the headphone cue as if Ableton wasn't even there. The only problem is this setup has proven to be unstable to me. I'm starting to get distortion, etc. after playing with it for a while. It sounds like a problem with the buffer size. I've experimented with various buffer settings in Traktor, Ableton and Soundflower itself, but wasn't able to find the ones that would work stably. Maybe I just need to do some more testing. I'm on a MacBook Pro 3.06 GHz Core 2 Duo + 8 GB of DDR3 RAM. I normally don't have any problems with performance.
    2 + 2 = 4

Default syncing s4 w apc 40 - using soundflower

Aloha

Were you ever able to get a more stable performance using traktor and ableton on the s4? Your post said your were getting distortion etc-

Many Thanks!
    Valerie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast