VCI-100 FW 1.1 Jog Wheel Scratch Issue

Default VCI-100 FW 1.1 Jog Wheel Scratch Issue

Hello,

I am very new to the vci-100 and traktor pro combo...

I have trakor scratch pro and vestax vci-100 firmware 1.1. I will be ordering the firmware upgrade kit very soon. However, in the meantime, I would like to use trackor scratch pro and my vci-100 to practice scratching.

My problem is that when i import the controller mappings (which i found on these fourms) the jog wheel never scratches properly like it did in traktor LE. The jogwheel just bends the pitch. I assume that this is because the mappings are probably made for vci-100's with more up-to-date firmware.

I tried the learning option in traktor scratch pro but there was no luck as I dont know what the hell im doing there :P

All the other buttons work fine, its just the proper vinyl sound im trying to get in traktor scratch pro...

Tech Guru

In your MIDI setup preference pane, add a command for "Scratch On", make sure it says "button", with a type of "hold". Use midi learn and touch the metal part of the jog wheel. Without releasing your finger, turn off the midi learn box. Next, create a command for "Scratch". Make sure it says "direct" with a type of "Rotary 3h...etc" Make sure to use the one with the 3 in it. (I don't have my VCI-100 with me for holidays so forgive me for not remembering the exact details). Turn on midi learn and while holding the metal part of the wheel, rotate it. You should get a CC16 or something close. Close out the preference pane and try to scratch. That should do it. Keep in mind that the pitch bending may still be active while scratching unless you delete or re-assign those commands. I'm not really sure how or if TPro affects the well known ramp-up issue in VCI-100 firmware 1.1, but I'll have access to my controller by next Monday, and can send you the exact details. Alternately, you can always download and import one of the many great tsi's from the Controller Mappings section of DJTT, most of them have scratching programmed already.
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Default thanks

Thank you very much for your help...

I managed to get the scratching to work

However, after reviewing many scrathing videos it seems that the best way to scratch is the good old fashioned way of using vinyl. The main reasons I have made this choice is: you have more space to work with and it is easier to keep track of the record as you can mark it and it keeps rotating (if you know what im trying to say). It just seems way better to me.

I was thinking of just getting one turntable and a samples vinyl just for scratching and then maybe getting traktor scratch.

What do you think? please give me your advice as I am a bit of a noob

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

The VCI-100 is not really built for heavy, detailed scratching. I, personally, don't think there is any MIDI controller yet that can match the detail of vinyl.

Now that Traktor is supporting 14-bit MIDI a controller that transmits with 14-bit will make it a LOT more detailed.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Default got turntable

ok... So i got a stanton t80 turntable today for a good boxing day price
    So i have the vci-100 and a creative x-fi platinum internal soundcard which has midi inputs, spdif inputs, optical inputs, and 5.1 output channels.

I was looking at the audio 8 dj to connect my turntable to my pc and use traktor pro...but its about AU$1000 and I dont want to spend that much. So then I took a look at the finalscratch open....looks better for the money i want to spend

Can anyone tell me if it is worth spending the money on finalscracth open?? I want to scratch...thats the main thing I'll use it for...and use my vci-100 as a mixer.

peace

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I am not sure on this but I don't think you can use FS Open with Traktor Pro. Like I said, not definite, but I'm pretty sure.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall