how good does my laptop need to be? ..for running an SE and T-Pro

Default how good does my laptop need to be? ..for running an SE and T-Pro

yo. Im just about to uprgrade to an SE and obtain TRAKTOR Pro somehow, and it came to mind that one may need a computer with fairly decent specs in terms of processor, RAM, screen resolution etc etc, because it will be sending out multiple siignals, and T-Pro is a big new program.

I have quite an ancient laptop, but just, and only just runs TRAKTOR 3.4, but i expect a freeze when i start using too many effects and all that.

So in the market for a new laptop,

...Anyone like help me with what brands and specs should be looking for?

p.s. Shine Shine (AC slater remix) is the kouta shit, been listening to it all day

Tech Wizard

hey there personal opinion... i have just been looking into it myself. haven't used a mac book before but a few of the guys on here will yell u to go mac or go pc. i weighed it all up to do myself when i get some cash up and for a fulltime dj computer i am gonna go a mac. gotta expand the horizons and see what all the rage is. plus they have pretty good specs and not many bad reports. just remember too look into what u need for firewire and usb ports and all the hardware side of things. portability because u dont want a big leadweight if ur moving around a lot. Also try searching the forums and articles as theres heaps i looked through to come to my decision.

yeah mac vs pc again... my conclusion to that argument is that you could probably get a machine with the same specs but for half the price, or a machine with double the specs for the same price, just sorta confused myself then, but you get it.

yeah it does seem the fashion to go mac, they nice and shiny and all... but i'm so so used to using Windows, and they seem so much cheaper!

Quote Originally Posted by timinya View Post
    yeah it does seem the fashion to go mac, they nice and shiny and all... but i'm so so used to using Windows, and they seem so much cheaper!
    I took a while mulling over a similar decision myself a while back. In the end, I opted for a new macbook and frankly have never looked back since.

I've always been a PC guy (building some, fixing others etc..) so also had some concerns over getting into a new OS after being with windows for so long... My mac does indeed 'just work' though, and i've found the OS to be slick, functional and easy to use... Far more so than Windows IMO, especially Vista.

It all goes down to what your budget looks like - I was willing/able to part with the cash for the top line macbook and would do the same again without blinking
    Save money on binoculars - Simply move closer to the object you intend to view!

Jack Bastard

Contrary to what Mac people will have you believe, XP is equally as stable and reliable as OS X. I've owned both Macs and PCs and had no problem with either.

You can get a laptop powerful enough to run TPro for about 400UKP. Just ensure it's got at least 2gb of memory and a dualcore CPU and that should be all you need. Also if you're running TPro then you might want to get as high a screen resolution as you can afford. Keep your eye out for laptops with a WSXGA or WUXGA screen. WXGA+ (1440x990) is the lowest I would recommend going.

Oh, and avoid Vista if you can, downgrade or install your own copy of XP.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

If we're talking minimum you need to run T-Pro, an audio interface and a MIDI controller, you don't need to spend anywhere near a macbook cost. You can get a $500 Dell and run that. Really, just make sure you meet the recommended requirements for T-Pro and the sound card and you'll be fine.

And don't buy into all the hype talking down Vista. That's a two year old argument. Vista has become really secure, there are drivers from most manufacturers to run on it now. And if there aren't it's more of an issue with the manufacturer than MS at this point.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Bastard View Post
    Contrary to what Mac people will have you believe, XP is equally as stable and reliable as OS X. I've owned both Macs and PCs and had no problem with either.

You can get a laptop powerful enough to run TPro for about 400UKP. Just ensure it's got at least 2gb of memory and a dualcore CPU and that should be all you need. Also if you're running TPro then you might want to get as high a screen resolution as you can afford. Keep your eye out for laptops with a WSXGA or WUXGA screen. WXGA+ (1440x990) is the lowest I would recommend going.

Oh, and avoid Vista if you can, downgrade or install your own copy of XP.
    I agree with all of the above... Mac for me was a cosmetic and usability preference, XP is a decent OS although I find the mac to be far more intuitive personally...

Deffo avoid Vista IMO - especially 64bit. That PoS is practically good for nothing .. There is a whole world of music software that will not run on it
    Last edited by Sc1C; 12-23-2008 at 11:19 AM.
    Save money on binoculars - Simply move closer to the object you intend to view!

i run traktor pro and a vci-100 on my last gen macbook smooth as butter.
    but i'm always worried about it getting damaged when i play out.
    i'm thinking about getting one of those eee pc's with a solid state drive for less worries, and max its ram to 2gb and see if it can run smooth.

but like others have said, look at the ports it comes with! especially if you're thinking mac b/c the new macbooks don't have firewire! and only two usb. most pc's seem to other more for the money, and more usb/firewire ports too.
    and if u get crazy or go to a crazy party, you might worry about having something too bright and shiny