how to tweak old sets/mixes

Default how to tweak old sets/mixes

Hi all,

I have a couple classic sets/mixes done by larry levan....but some of these sets sounds very muffled and loose alot of their sound quality...i was just wondering if there is any techniques or applications i can use to salvage some of these classic sets...

thank you in advance....

cheers
    chubbz

equing with wavelab or similar would maybe help? What is the medium we are talking about? Tapes?

Hi there nemo,

Thank you fer your quick response, all the sets i downloaded was in mp3 format and had very low bit rate. I dont knw what they used originally to record the sets, if thats what u asking... am not too sure wether the low quality of these sets are due to how they were recorded originally or whoever uploaded them on the net bungled the transfer to mp3. Sorry cant give you more info as i am complete noob in these things...

cheers
    chubbz

Quote Originally Posted by Chubbz View Post
    Hi there nemo,

Thank you fer your quick response, all the sets i downloaded was in mp3 format and had very low bit rate. I dont knw what they used originally to record the sets, if thats what u asking... am not too sure wether the low quality of these sets are due to how they were recorded originally or whoever uploaded them on the net bungled the transfer to mp3. Sorry cant give you more info as i am complete noob in these things...

cheers
    chubbz
    Hellou!

Well, then as I suggested, I would use some automated eq or even normalization on the low/garbeled parts. Maybe if you can give me a link to one of them, I can have a listen and see what can be done with some jedi tricks

cheers mate...heres the link http://www.fullbozman.com/

you click on the artist larry levan...theres a whole bunch of sets done by levan...this site has quite a collection of house djs be sure to check them out too...let me knw if you can do anythin to the levans set...

cheers
    chubbz

There isnt a whole lot that can be done to songs with a bad bitrate

As one of the most frequently used saying in the industry goes - "you cant polish a turd".

Doing some research into remastering methods will help, but sadly you will never get it sounding like the original.

Tech Convert

I am a big fan of Levan, too. Sadly, there isn't really anything that can be done. Some of the mixes are amazing but the poor quality is a big let down. I suppose you can tweak them a little, but it's just going to take a lot of time and the results will not be much good, in my opinion.

Thank you again fer the responses guys....i knew i was asking the impossible here. Some of the these sets done by levan are juz legendary and its a shame most of them are in bad quality... hopefully by year 3000 a super magic app will be created so that even turds from another dimension can be made to look and sound like gold... lol

cheers
    chubbz