The naive club promoter
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default The naive club promoter

So I was recently talking to one of the guys I know that promote for some of the clubs here in Dallas, and I casually brought up the fact that I don't use CDJ's or Vinyl at all, and he flipped shit! He went on this rant that the clubs he promotes, only like this or that, blah blah blah, saying that my craft was immature and nonprofessional. I lol-ed on the inside, but as much of a jerk I am, I couldn't come back with a witty comeback - other than my gear takes 5 minutes to set up and works just as effectively if not better than DVS or burned CD's.

What are some of y'alls replies in this situation, just for kicks I think its interesting, there's always the CDJ vs vinyl debate going on, but controllers seem to slip through most of the time.
    Live Gear : MacBook Pro 13" & 15" (depends which one I grab), Kontrol S4, Midi-Fighter, Shure SRH750DJ, Dedication.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    itajen just told Chilly to read the fucking manual... lol
    *takes hat off and bows to itajen*
    Be the change you want to see in the world.

Tech Mentor

that is the problem with the guys with this obsession about their gear. You did not need to tell him that and maybe that will cost you a gig. Just show up at the venue and plug the controller really nobody cares but if you tell the that you are not using, what in his eyes is, professional equipment you just shoot you in your feet. In the other hand does not hurt you use cdj´s or turntables, will make you a more complete dj.

Before I answer, just a quick question, when most DJs at a club use Vinyl they are using DVS right? Just making sure my argument would hold up as I have never really looked into vinyl. However I did use this response a little while ago, but I am not sure how accurate it is.

My answer (If they do use DVS and not run around with a crate full of vinyl):
    "Hey, you're laughing at me for using a controller but you do know most DJs who use vinyl aren't really using vinyl right? They're using DVS which is just like me using a controller but they're pretending they're playing on vinyl. They're using a laptop just like me, but with my setup I can actually activate and use more features off my laptop than a vinyl / CDJ DJ. Not to mention the coolest (imo) techniques to use can all be done with much more ease and precision than on 'vinyl'."

I always make sure I speak with convection so even if it's not entirely true what I stated above it seems like it is, and people won't really argue with you - especially promoters (as long as they have no idea what you're talking about).

I had an argument like that with a local promoter a few days ago (met the dude at my college) and he was promoting for Shark Club (A local 18+ on weekdays, 21+ on weekends) place and after I said that he stopped arguing and was actually intrigued by the S4 since I said thats what I use.

If what I stated above is false - then excuse the noobness please.
    Last edited by Coldfuzion; 01-31-2011 at 11:53 AM.

ask him if he drives a Flintstones car

Tech Mentor

Coldfuzion: You are right but believe me most of the promoters do not want to be left like they do not know the game and they will perceive as a problematic guy. Again get the gig and believe me if you are doing a good show he will not ask and not even care. Promoters do not like noobs tell them how the bussines are.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tito View Post
    Again get the gig and believe me if you are doing a good show he will not ask and not even care. Promoters do not like noobs tell them how the bussines are.
    +1

get the gig, rock the place, end of story. no need to be discussing this with promoters.

Tech Mentor

Villinus: With that attitude , a noob will find hard to play in good venues, because you will be amazed of the guys with the same skills who take the job, deliver and not trying to be smartass. In my opinion is useless going that way

Tech Mentor

that is the problem with the guys with this obsession about their gear. You did not need to tell him that and maybe that will cost you a gig. Just show up at the venue and plug the controller really nobody cares but if you tell the that you are not using, what in his eyes is, professional equipment you just shoot you in your feet. In the other hand does not hurt you use cdj´s or turntables, will make you a more complete dj.
    The promoter is 19 years old - it's not like what he thinks about my gear matters. I just think it's funny how people think what the DJ uses is important, I mean it is to an extent, but if they can do what they do well using what they have, it shouldn't matter to anyone.

But in regard to me apparently having a obsession with my gear? How is having pride about my gear anyone's concern? Never did I bash one medium vs another, because that's all it is, a different medium for the same substance (music). I'm not trying to start an argument, just stating that having pride has nothing to do with skill or preference.
    Live Gear : MacBook Pro 13" & 15" (depends which one I grab), Kontrol S4, Midi-Fighter, Shure SRH750DJ, Dedication.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    itajen just told Chilly to read the fucking manual... lol
    *takes hat off and bows to itajen*
    Be the change you want to see in the world.

Tech Mentor

Nothing to do with your "pride". It is a suggestion take or leave it, believe nobody will care, and if your goal is taking gigs just be polite and make him realize he is wrong with your performance, not arguments. I use cd´s, turntables, serato, traktor whatever they got, always carry a vci100 with an audio 4dj as a backup if their equipment does not work good. So never had to refuse a gig or getting in pointless discussions and if their gear does not work properly they love you because you save the night. Then more and more gigs, simply like that.

Villinus: With that attitude , a noob will find hard to play in good venues, because you will be amazed of the guys with the same skills who take the job, deliver and not trying to be smartass. In my opinion is useless going that way
    I was not being serious at all. I'm only a smartass online

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast