Please review beatgrid and warping!! Which has the best!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Please review beatgrid and warping!! Which has the best!!

Im new to the board...so whats good DJTT!!

Im not up on the technical terms so dont flame me for it.

Im a 3+ year user of serato, 2 years of traktor, and 6 months of VDJ and Ableton.

One thing ive noticed that DVS supplied points/transients/markers,

VDJ are about 95% on point
    Serato about 80%
    Tracktor and Ableton about 40%

Who has the best engine/algorithm/analyzer for markers off the bat without user action and why??

Although I like beatgridding/warpping for perfection, most of the time I just like dropping a track and busting out some freestyle mixes but Ableton and Traktor are really terrible at this...for me atleast.

One thing I can think of is the actually quality of the tracks but VDJ or serato doesnt seem to have that problem.

Hoping for someone in DJTT offices picks up on this and does a video comparison pros and cons etc.

Tech Convert

deerrrpppp.

Need to learn to the use the search button.

Thanks dude.

Ibtf!!!!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Convert

thanks for the links but looking over them really doesnt answer my question.

who has the best and why "off the start". i.e load a track and its correctly beatgrid-ed.

I made the change over to Traktor completely this year and it really bugs that beatgrids are so far off. Is there anything I can do to improve that??

Its so tedious to sit down and beatgrid all your tracks.

Tech Guru

ive used traktor and itch for a while now and when it comes to beatgridding, i like Itch TONS more. The grids are correct the majority of the time and the grids are also warpable. Much better product when it comes to grids.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    ibtf!!!!
    lmao!

Yeah…those links have nothing to do with the OP's question.

Frankly, OP, IHNFC why Live sucks so badly at it. I haven't found Traktor to have any problems. Maybe 5% of the time, it's way off…maybe 30% of the time, I have to move the grid a tiny bit. I'm not sure about the speeds, because I just reset them to the nearest whole number if they're off…and except for classic house, it hasn't backfired yet. Yay computers.

Actually, if you think Live is right 40% of the time…either you spin really different music from me or you don't actually know how to listen for beat matching…because I have never had Live's auto-warping be right. Not one track. And I've been using it for longer than it's had an auto-warp feature.

Tech Convert

I've only started using Ableton recently mostly for production work not mixing. More recently VDJ. It just impressed the hell out of me how accurate it was.

Anyone ever load up a tribal track, Almost all software are way off the mark. whats up with that?!?!!? Hope with the new version of Traktor or any software for that matter works on this.

In Traktor you can handle a lot of this by limiting the BPM parameters. The autogrids are far more often accurate if you tell Traktor ahead of time to calculate BPM within a smaller range (say 110-140 if you are throwing a bunch of house tracks at it for example). Also some of its major inaccuracies are predictable -- particularly with tracks with a lot of syncopation you'll see things like dubstep tracks at 140 gridding to 105 BPM; if you look through the track at the grid markers you often see that the grid makes logical sense even though it's wrong. However I do see with traktor occasional problems where it's just way off -- the BPM is relatively close and the first beatcount on the autogrid is nowhere near right, sometimes even on a silent point in the song. My guess is Traktor's formula for finding the "1" gets tripped up on certain types of songs.

Even with all this though, I don't see how you get the figure of 40% -- in Traktor I have problems with the autogrid maybe 3-5% of the time, if even that. Confirm that you are actually autogridding the tracks rather than just looking at the transients that show up when there's no grid?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast