Which Android tablet for Ableton/Traktor Control?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which Android tablet for Ableton/Traktor Control?

Hi all, I've been seriously looking at a tablet to incorporate into my home set up. I mainly use Logic 9 for production, but I dabble in Ableton Live a bit too (8.2). I use Traktor Scratch Pro with vinyl control, but really only use it exactly the same as I would vinyl, so no cue points or jiggery pokery...

BUT I want a bit of jiggery pokery! So, I can't afford an iPad so that's out the window, but I was in Toys R Us in the UK today (Merry Hill West Midlands) and saw the eTouch 10.1" android 2.1 based tablet. So I can run Touch OSC on this I think, seems OK and only £150.

I can't be arsed with a laggy screen touch experience or non multi touch, I looked today at the Archos 10.1 which is £299 in Best Buy and that looks pretty dope actually.

So, the question I'm asking, is what are your experiences, how do you use the tablet in your setup, what do you control and what are the results like?

I love DJTT and the community and really want to rely on your responses to make my mind up as I'm buying one at the end of February, many thanks for all replies in advance!

Get a midifighter. much better at jiggery

the main problems with those cheap android tablets (besides battery life) is the touchscreens.

the cheapies all use resistive touchscreens, and not capacitive like the current smartphones and ipads/iphones/itouches.

while this isn't a huge problem, the dont always register your presses - or as accurately as you'd like. they register input by the force of your finger on the membrane, rather than by electrical current in your finger.

if you're looking to create custom interfaces with sliders and rotaries and buttons and labels for them and switch between them often for ableton and traktor controlling, save and get an ipad on craigslist, doesnt have to be newest gen to work for this purpose.

if you wanna beat juggle, trigger cue points, anything like that needs good tactile response, i agree with the above get a midi fighter for it sounds like you want to do which is cue points and such, search youtube under eangolden and check out some of his controllerism videos where he shows you how to do triplets and all sorts of sick shit with arcade buttons on his custom vcis.
    [ Soundcloud | BandPage @ Facebook ]
    Gear: Macbook Pro, Motu 828, Heavily Self Modded Audio 8, Mackie D.4 Pro, Maschine, Kontrol X1, APC40, LPK25

Personally I use the hp touchsmart tm2 for djing.The touchscreen is a capacitive multi-touch screen and very responsive.It runs Win 7 Home Premium.Using traktor with only a touchscreen is a bit of a challange but if you combine it with emulator then its actually a pretty solid djing tool.Im also running the ableton demo on it and its truly amazing for that.The price is $900.God bless.

Great responses fellers...many thanks.

I actually would prefer something with knobs/sliders/pots/buttons but I really want a tablet for that "pick up and browse for 10 minutes before bed" experience as well! So I thought I might be able to combine the 2.

I love the MIDI fighters and I've been looking at them for a while.

I've also looked at the cheap as chips AKAI LPD8 just for queue points and adjusting effects, I mean if that did it all, at £39 I dunno how I can beat that!

Looking at an archos 101 too. £150 at Carphone Warehouse.

What else is needed for windows though? I assume midi yoke?

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

I have had the new galaxy tab 10.2, sadly touch osc runs like shit on most android tabs because of the shit app. Hexler are working on it though. It is only for a smartPhone now and comes up the same size on the tabs, it also dosent have multiple touch yet. I would wait till they update it and the save and get a good tab. You won't be satisfied with a shit one

Getting mine more for web usage. Looking at osc as a side project...

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Guru

@ drummer - sorry to go off topic but what version of android are you running. I am on 3.1 and I'd love to update.
    :: Kontrol Z2 :: :: Technics 1200 :: :: Pioneer DJM 250 :: Kontrol X1 MkII :: :: Maschine :: :: Kontrol S4 ::

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast