Faderfox DJ2 and Akai Mpd24
    Tech Wizard

Default Faderfox DJ2 and Akai Mpd24

I've been using the faithfully badass DJ2 for a year now and I just added on the mpd24. This will be my first mapping, and I have a few questions. Specifically, what do I need to watch out for when I assign button features in terms of overlapping CC numbers and midi commands? Basically, I want to use the akai to control loops, effects and cue points in Traktor pro. Has anyone already done this or have any helpful tips?

Your life will be greatly improved if you set the MPD24 to output on a different MIDI channel. Trying to interweave two devices on the same channel is a recipe for a headache, especially when the 16 MIDI channels were invented to solve this exact problem.

After that set your software to listen for "omni" MIDI messages (i.e. I don't care what MIDI channel it comes in on) and you're golden.

Tech Wizard

thanks for your help. i am a total beginner when it comes to programming things like this. i've messed with the tks for just the faderfox so that it fits my liking, but I have no idea what it means to change a midi channel or how to even go about it. thanks. also, do you recommend working with the exisiting faderfox mappings and integrating the akai into it, or just starting from scratch? there are some things that the faderfox mapping controls that are perfect and i don't want to mess with them at all, such as being able to continue playing the record from a cue instead of having to specifically hit the play button, as well as the use of the joystick for effects.

It's in the MPD24 manual (if this link doesn't work for you, go to http://www.akaipro.com and select "Support/Documents & Downloads"):

http://www.akaipro.com/stuff/content...anual_v1_5.pdf

Strictly, on the MPD24, each and every button or control change can send their message on a different MIDI Channel and Port, but to make things easier they have a global channel called the "Common Channel" that all the presets default to using - that's why when you hit a button on the left of the screen it says "CC" even though you just pressed NoteOn not a ControlChange, it really means "Common Channel". If you had set up a specific MIDI channel for the note you would see a number on the left.

Anyway, changing the Common Channel is found by pressing the "Global" button and it's on the second option "page". This is all covered on p22 of the manual.

Should you start from scratch again? I find it better to add features haphazardly, the get annoyed with their layout and rehash things when you're really motivated and know exactly what you want, but that's just me. Any layout that makes total sense to you is the best layout - I ended up taking Ean's layout and removing stuff I'm not interested in (like pitch controls) and adding more loop size and beatjump events because those are the features I use most.

Keep the faderfox controls you like and add new features on the MPD24, remembering that you have 4 banks of buttons to use. Lay out feature sin rows, columns, whatever makes sense to you and your needs.
    Last edited by Fatlimey; 12-27-2008 at 04:56 PM.

Tech Wizard

Thank you very much for your help. I've rerouted my midi signals, and everything has been working pretty well thus far. I am running into a couple puzzles though, mapping out my workflow is a bit more complicated than I had anticipated. One of my issues is with the filters. I am controlling them with two of the faders (F3 and F4), and when i map both the filter and filter on commands to the faders in direct mode the filters only turn on when i go above 0. i've tried changing the filter on commands to both hold and button, but if i take the filter really low, say -100%, if i tap the fader any further down than the filter turns off and sound returns to normal, and this is a terror on the eardrums. Is there any workaround besides leaving my filter's always on (or using a button to turn them on and off) and leaving the fader at 0% so that i can have instant access to the filters? Basically, i want to make it so the filter turns on at +5% and -5%, and turns off when it's between -5% and +5%. Also, if someone knows how to map out cue points, that would be a great help too. I want to be able to map out cues 1-4 from decks A,B,C on the pads of the akai. Thanks.

Oh, and if anyone wants a copy of this mapping when I'm done let me know and I'll post it up. I've been curious if anyone else had a similar setup to me.

I would love a copy of this mapping please!
    Personally i use a hercules RMX and want to use my MPD24 for loops hotcues and effects in traktor pro.
    I have no prior midi mapping experience......