APC40 or APC 20/launchpad & Beringer BCR2000?
    Tech Convert

Default APC40 or APC 20/launchpad & Beringer BCR2000?

Hi if anyone has any experience with the above I'd be gratful for your views.
    I am looking to expand my home studio/DJ rig and after much research have narrowed my choices down to:
    1) APC40
    2) APC20 & Beringer BCR2000
    3) Launchpad & BCR2000
    I use ableton mainly for production rather than mixing (at present) for which I use Traktor Pro + VCI 100 arcade. At some point, given time, I would like to get into using Traktor and Live at the same time but I suspect I will never use purely ableton.
    The reason I am perhaps leaning more towards two units rather than one is that I could use my VCI + the BCR200 as a Traktor setup for playing out and expand it with the launchpad/apc20 if I start to get into smart mixing at a later stage, rather than humping a load of buttons about that I dont presently need.
    This would leave me with both units for use at home for production. I already own a Akai MPK mini and so dont really require any further keys/drum pads.
    A couple of queries I have are:
    - How well intergrated is the APC40 in terms of ableton prduction? Operator for instance has a lot more than 6 rotary controls. is it possible to change the APC40 knos from controlling say the oscillator levels etc to envelope parameters....or would it be better to map a preset in a BCR2000 specifically for operator?
    - I presume it is fairly simple to automap some of the BCR2000 knobs while mapping the others to specific tasks? (I am fairly comfortable with midi mapping)
    - Is it possible to configure the BCR to receive midi from ableton (ie automatically pickup the position of encoders when switching to a new effect/instrument)?

As i see it the pro/cons are as follows
    APC40
    Pros:
    Lots of controls in a single unit
    Highly intergrated with ableton
    Cons:
    Very large bulky unit
    Extra cash to extend production functionality (note mode etc)

APC20/Launchpad & BCR2000
    Pros:
    LOTS of knobs
    Smaller unit size if using one unit only for DJing
    Slightly cheaper setup
    APC 20 aleady includes note mode
    Cons:
    BCR2000 not fully intergrated with Ableton
    No faders on Launchpad
    two units take up more space.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

I currently use the apc40 plus bcr200 with ableton!!!!! Best setup ever to use with live!!!!
    MBP 13' 256 SSD 8Gb RAM. Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.8 | MF Classic | NI Audio 2 | NI Audio 10 | CDJ1000MK3 (2) | Technics 1200MKII (4) | A&H Xone 92 (UK) | NI Kontrol F1 | Ipad 4 | Korg Kaoss Pad Mini | Ableton Live Suite.

Tech Mentor

if i was playing live in session view i think the APC40 is a no brainer. production id go with a BCR for just a generic key/knob box. combine both for ultimate winning. (i cant find a use for the apc20)
    Kontrol S4 | Novation Remote 25SL Mk.I | Macbook Pro | Shure SRH750DJ
    Soundcloud | Facebook | iTunes Podcast

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by MrAybar View Post
    I currently use the apc40 plus bcr200 with ableton!!!!! Best setup ever to use with live!!!!
    Wow that looks perfect for vst's...is it auto mappable,own power supply..how do the knobs feel (too plastiky)?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by bigfeet View Post
    APC20/Launchpad & BCR2000
    Pros:
    LOTS of knobs
    Smaller unit size if using one unit only for DJing
    Slightly cheaper setup
    APC 20 aleady includes note mode
    Cons:
    BCR2000 not fully intergrated with Ableton
    No faders on Launchpad
    two units take up more space.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.
    Just FYI, the user 1 mode on the launchpad is note mode.
    mk128, maschine, oxygen25, firewire 410, ableton suite 8