Mastering a Mixtape - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

For years, I've processed all my mixes through Ableton Live. I record pretty quiet by most people's standards (highest peak is around -6) which, thanks to a 24-bit interface and 32-bit floating point summing and effects, still gives me plenty of dynamic range…the limiting factor is still either the original tracks or my DJ mixer, depending on some specifics.

I use Live's included limiter plugin–which is actually quite good–to give myself at most 3 dB of limiting at the loudest volume peaks of my mix using the Limiter's pre-gain setting with a cutoff of about -0.2dB, though I use the free SSL plugin X-IMS (or something like that) to check for intersample modulation distortion and adjust the ceiling and gain to get rid of it if it's there. It does make a noticeable difference if you A/B it, but it should be as subtle as possible…the volume war has already been fought by the time you hit play…there's no reason to make it worse. Actually using the dynamic range you have available to you is another story….

Tech Guru

technically all the tracks are mastered, so theres no real need to do much more, just a bit of compression to lift the levels of the quieter tracks
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Banned

I need help mixing and mastering my mixtape. Is it a way where i can send my music to an engineer or someone to help me out?

Quote Originally Posted by djchriswoods.co.uk View Post
    technically all the tracks are mastered, so theres no real need to do much more, just a bit of compression to lift the levels of the quieter tracks
    Ahhh, but some tracks are mastered better than others.......
    Tony the Pony.
    My soundcloud page. House, mainly.

Mixcloud & Website coming soon.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nerobi10 View Post
    I need help mixing and mastering my mixtape. Is it a way where i can send my music to an engineer or someone to help me out?
    This guy will do it and his stats seem legit.

http://djtechtools.com/forum/showthr...lity+mastering
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Guru

alright, good answers so far.

for the folks who use compression as a way to bring the levels up a bit.

what are some general guidelines for punching in your settings to get it to lift the sound without creating distortion, like the squashing effect and the nasty pumping/sucking sounds.

long or short attack, long or short release?

ratio? threshhold?

i'm just looking for a general ballpark so i can adjust it to fit the mix properly because it's probably different depending on how the mix is recorded.

i prefer to record at a lower volume, around -9db so that i have lot's of room to play with before i add eqing, gain adjustments, limiter etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    ...thanks to a 24-bit interface and 32-bit floating point summing and effects, still gives me plenty of dynamic range…the limiting factor is still either the original tracks or my DJ mixer, depending on some specifics...

Question... what do you feel is the limiting factor of you Xone:62, and why do you feel it responds in such a manner.

Would love to hear your detailed description of what you have to correct for (although you seem to infer it doesn't always require correction)

I'm doing a lot of research on DJ mixers right now, and your personal opinions would be very welcome indeed.

Tech Guru

don't leave me hangin now guys!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12