"I just feel like i'm blending songs and ive learned all i can from it"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default "I just feel like i'm blending songs and ive learned all i can from it"

I keep reading comments like this on dj sites and im sorry, until you can mix like this man...

or this man

and your mixes with just 2 tracks either sound this polished....

or this polished live

Then you havent mastered anything.

sorry guys, had to vent. i keep reading comments like this on dj sites and its driving me nuts. especially when im a guy thats ok with the sync button. noob comments like that are actually driving me away from using it simply because i dont want to be associated with people that would make rediculous comments like "ive mastered beatmatching".

./rant
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

The problem is bedroom DJ's have no crowd to feed off. They don't realize that just playing the correct song at the right time is all you need to do. The way I see it extra effects are like a very rich icing on a cake. To much and it'll make you sick.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Yup, beatmatching is the easiest part. Overall feeling, dealing with energy peak, build ups, creativity , even if subjective, is the hardest part, that's your own signature... like pineapple on pizza... oh noes

Tech Guru

good i hope they get tired of it and find something else they can take the piss out of.

Tech Mentor

I haven't seen too many comments like this, but I have seen some. I'll have to say until you learn to USE the songs instead of just mixing them you've got a long ways to go.

I'll have to agree with photojojo as well.

IMHO its better for a beginner to stick with just mixing 2 songs together for a year or more and then get involved with effects and samples.

@ xtianw amen to that
    If you're done learning, time to quit and learn something else .
    .. Also, thanks for the linkage to sasha's SC, grabbing a couple sets off there now mate!
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

im still learning how to beatmatch by ear...its tough
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

I saw this thread title, and I loled.

For sure.

You have to love what you sound like before anyone else will, and if its an emotional thing you cannot ask someone else for guidance...

You have to progress through your own institutional decisions, or you are quite literally just another carbon copy.

If you brain isn't just shooting ideas at you when you listen to music, and furthermore, if you don't have the well roundedness as a DJ to know exactly how you can implement all these personal ideas that your brain will just come up with (trust me, its art, once you have practiced enough you don't think about it, you just do it, and inspiration has a sort of magic way of just happening), then you have simply not stood in front of the decks "listening" and "thinking" long enough...

And you have spent far to much time in front of the decks PLAYING.

DJing, imho, is the pursuit of perfection when one knows full well that perfection is a wholly unattainable goal.

A good DJ will strive to be better today than he was the day before, in all aspects of his career as a DJ, and as well his life, fully accepting the fact that there will never come a day when he can no longer get any better.

And in this way the "greatness" that one can achieves is infinite, as the road never ends.

If it's a form of 'dj writers block' it's understandable. All creative types go though it. But if it's 'I've got one aspect of this down and now I'm bored or ain't no more to learn' then pack it up and move on.
    Reminds me of when I wanted to learn to scratch, for no good reason but to keep my hands busy. Not because the set would sound better, not because the crowd would enjoy it, but just because my hand weren't busy enough. Snapped out of it, now focusing on my set and sound , not my hands.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DJKeyWee View Post
    Yup, beatmatching is the easiest part. Overall feeling, dealing with energy peak, build ups, creativity , even if subjective, is the hardest part, that's your own signature... like pineapple on pizza... oh noes
    i love pineapple pizza. btw, montreal eh?

(OT) I'm coming in march! whats there to see?!
    Live Gear : MacBook Pro 13" & 15" (depends which one I grab), Kontrol S4, Midi-Fighter, Shure SRH750DJ, Dedication.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    itajen just told Chilly to read the fucking manual... lol
    *takes hat off and bows to itajen*
    Be the change you want to see in the world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast