Etymotic ER20 ear plugs and thoughts on their earphones?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Etymotic ER20 ear plugs and thoughts on their earphones?

Anybody have these? They are super cheap and made from the same quality company that makes the ER15's and ER20's that people on this forum are recommending. It looks like the ER15/20 are custom fit. These ER20's are only $13! Seems like a really good investment....thoughts?

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.html

And how about their earphones? Looking into getting some good quality earphones just for easy listening while studying etc. Any thoughts on these?

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/epcomp.html
    Last edited by GI Trackt; 02-07-2011 at 11:03 AM.

Ear protection in general is a good investment. They seem to be pretty decent; especially for the price, but to be honest I won't think it will be up to par with the ER filters used in custom earplugs. The filters alone cost 45 Euro a set...
    Check out my work!

Vestax VCM-600 (for sale!) - Allen & Heath Xone:62 - Focusrite Saffire LE - Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro - Traktor Pro 2.1 - Ableton Live 8 - MacBook Pro 15"

True true. Thanks for the input. Not sure if I want to spend the money on custom fits though...

I'm not saying you should. Those plugs you mentioned are a great start .
    Check out my work!

Vestax VCM-600 (for sale!) - Allen & Heath Xone:62 - Focusrite Saffire LE - Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro - Traktor Pro 2.1 - Ableton Live 8 - MacBook Pro 15"

Ha thanks. Here's another question. I'm actually more interested in ear plugs for studying and less for music/dj'ing etc. Would these be considered good for noise cancellation purposes or are they more to be worn at concerts/noisy jobs/etc. Should I look elsewhere if I want a type of "noise-cancelling" ear plugs? Or do these do the job just the same. Thanks again

Noise cancellation is an active process, thus requiring electronics. What we're talking about here is noise dampening, which is a passive process.

These plugs are intentionally used for music, because of the flat response filters (in other words: the filters dampen every frequency by the same amount). Plugs for studying/sleeping/etc. are less picky about this.

I would say these plugs are good for music and sufficient for studying. No need to buy another pair just to study.
    Check out my work!

Tech Mentor

i have those plugs and they are fantastic. they are really worth the little money they cost. they bring down the db level enough to make everything clear and comfortable

Great input. Did more research into this and you're absolutely correct! Thanks so much Dennis. Never thought I'd be communicating with somebody from the Netherlands! This forum rocks

You're welcome
    Check out my work!

Go go go ER20. They're great for concerts/clubbing. A little problematic if you're manning the decks though : the stems come out a fair bit and wearing headphones on top would push them in and crush your ears.

If you just want to have a quiet time, foam plugs will do fine. You don't want to hear everything "clearly just 12dB lower", just to muffle the damn racket as much as possible.
    And again, the ER20 stems really hurt if you sleep on the side

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast