buying a new mixer this week cant decide between....
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default buying a new mixer this week cant decide between....

Pioneer DJM 700
    and Xone 92

Im using 2 technics 1210 m5gs and an oxygen 8

what i cant decide is would it be better to get a plain 4 channel mixer and a kontrol x1 sens i can use traktors effects, or should i just go for the djm 700 or the xone 92 and maybe add an x1 down the line when i can afford it... also im wondering if there is a better controller option than the oxygen 8 v2 to control decks c and d... are midi fighters better? it seems like the oxygen with a foot pedal is pretty dope. also Im about to buy speakers i can get 2 krk rokit 8 g2 speakers with xlr cables and stands for 500 bucks or rokit 6's for 400... please let me know i cant go check this stuff out cause i live in a remote location and i want to make a good purchase... thanks!!

Default one more thing

would a djm 700 or xone 92 with midi fighters and dicers be the way to go, if so which mixer has better effects and sound quality or is the total package, i also want the better crossfader as i scratch. thanks a bunch guys!!!

The xone has no effects but has two sends and two filters.
    Neither mixer has a particularly awesome scratchable crossfader.
    Do more research imo

i own a djm-700, i have played on a xone 92 and TBH it comes down to personal taste. I did see the 92 does cost more and it falls within the price range of a DJM-800. I would look into getting a DJM800 over a DJM700. I would personally use the 2x X1's and a DJM800 over anything.

Side question, what gear do you own right now? I mean, buying all that gear is a huge investment. I see that you have 1200's but what mixer/software/soundcard combo do you use?
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

I know im prepared to invest. Right now ttm 56 and traktor scratch pro audio 8... I need 4 channles obviously... so with a djm 800 and two x1s I wouldint need midi fighters or an oxygen 8? I like the rane mixers cause of the fader, I hear the effects are good and u can connect 2 laptops which is cool if u are a dj peoducer duo like my friend and I, plus u can use it with traktor now, but it costs more, should I just save? And are x1s definatly better than midi fighters?

Thats a whole lot of usb cables on the move.

X1 has knobs

midi fighters have arcade buttons.

I got an X1 after 2 midi fighters because I wanted more knobs.

Now I got a couple of CDJ's on the way haha.

You'll probably end up going through all of it at some point so just choose what you want the most and start with that

Why dont you wait a bit and check out one of the new behringers? like the nox606

That looks like it could be great.

Been waiting, been saving... I guess I might just go for the djm 800 with my oxygen 8 and two tables and go from there. is the sound card in the djm 800 as good as the audio 8?

IMHO I dont like the crossover points on Pioneer mixers. But I didn't know why until now.

With a look at where different manufacturers set their frequency points for the channel 3 band EQ, a lot of very interesting things can be learned.

Pioneer sets the low knob to everything 70hz and below.

Then the high knob to everything 13000hz and above.

Meaning the mid band knob has everything from 71hz to 12999hz!

That leaves it with very little room for sonic manipulation of any music through EQing.

Whereas an Allen & Heath run the 3 band EQ in the Xone:42 like:

Low: 420hz and down
    Mid: Center point at 1200hz
    High: 2700hz and up

This gives you a VERY warm low band, as well as giving you MUCH greater manipulation ability of the high band.

Allen & Heath's Xone:92 with its 4 band eq is run thus:

Low: 120hz and down
    low-mid: center point at 350 hz
    high-mid: center point at 2700hz
    High: 10000hz and up

^Now THAT is a sexy set of frequencies.

What this all means is, in a pioneer when you boost the lows, you don't boost ANY of the mids. So as a result the music becomes muddy, and lacks warmth. In order to compensate for this you would normally boost the mids a small amount with the lows, to retain the warmth. BUT Pioneer has to much high range on the mid (13khz and down!) so boosting the mids adds the warmth from the mid range just as equally as it adds the dry tinny highs, so in effect it cancels itself out, and instead of sounding warmer, it just sounds like you turned up the volume.

So how do I know all this? Well I have played quite a bit at live shows on pioneer's and A&H's, but I don't own either of them.

I own a DDM4000 for my practice setup, and it allows 100% customization of all frequency points in its 3 band channel EQ!

WIN!

So, I took a manual from a Pioneer DJM800, and plugged those frequencies into my DDM4000, and coming from someone who is VERY familiar with how Pioneers EQ feels (and from someone who though his DDM4000 sounded "better" than a DJM800) it was very weird to have my DDM4000 feeling EXACTLY like the pioneer in terms of EQ. It was creepy.

I then plugged in the A&H frequency point, and it was INSTANTLY clear why A&H mixers are considered "warmer" than pioneer.

Its that simple.

I hope this helped you in you search for the best mixer for YOU.

I've used Pioneer mixers for the last 8 years, had a 600 then an 800. The 800 is a great mixer there's no doubt about it, and it wouldn't be installed in just about every club if it wasn't. BUT, after reading so much about that certain "warmth" you get from the xone '92 I decided to take the plunge, sell up and buy one. This mixer is truly awesome and makes me wonder why I stuck with pioneer for so long.

I found that I was using the effects on the 800 less and less as the effects you get with Traktor completely blow it away, and once you get started experimenting with combining them and mapping them to a controller of your choice you may find yourself wondering why you bought the 800 in the first place.

With the release of the DB4 i've found the xone 92 has jumped down in value slightly. I picked up a second hand one in immaculate condition for £800 on ebay.
    DJ - Macbook pro, TSP 1.2.7, 2 x CDJ1000 MkIII, Xone 92, X1, VCI-100 Arcade FW 1.4, NI Audio 8 DJ, Sony MDR-V700
    Production - Dual core PC, M-box 2, KRK RP8, Novation Remote SL 61, Live 8, Reason 4
    Jack & Jill went up the hill to fetch a crate of Techno!

Quote Originally Posted by durt wiesel View Post
    With the release of the DB4 i've found the xone 92 has jumped down in value slightly. I picked up a second hand one in immaculate condition for £800 on ebay.

WIN!

See what I'm saying? Xone:92 all the way.

I am also seeing a huge move to Xone:92's in large festival installations and high end clubs instead of pioneers successor to the DJM800.

Why on EARTH would that be?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast