Best practice advice for Traktor

Default Best practice advice for Traktor

I've left my DJing for a few months whilst I was travelling in South East Asia. I'm now back and want to cleanse my systems.

I have a laptop with Windows 7 64bit and 2GB RAM. It only has an 80GB hard drive in it. It ran Traktor 1.2.4 ok, but now I'm back I've seen it's been updated to 1.2.7 (assuming due to release of S4 etc).

I also have a custom builtu PC with Windows 7 64bit, but has 6GB RAM and 750GB hard drive along with a 1TB external drive (for general music collection, backing up PC, saving software etc).

I'm now planning on buying a 500GB external hard drive and have it dedicated to my DJ music collection and switch it between the PC and the laptop as and when. I tend to practice on my PC and play live using the laptop.

What is the best way for me to install and set up Traktor on the two machines? Ideally, I don't want to install a second OS (though may do if that is unanimously and obviously the best way to go).
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

Place disk in first machine.

Install.

Authorise.

Remove disk.

Place disk in second machine.

Install.

Authorise.

Remove disk.

(Traktor comes with a licence to install on 2 machines)

EDIT: Don't quote me on this, but I believe if you have all your music on an external drive you can just copy the .nml (?) collection file from one to the other and it will update.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

I know how to install (but thanks for the info!). I was thinking more along the lines of tha actual setting up of the software etc. E.g. is it best to have a separate clean OS for just Traktor use and uninstall everything else on that OS, or best to install on it's own partition, ok running in 64bit Win7 or best to set it's compatability to run in XP mode etc etc.

I was looking more at them kind of best practices really.
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    EDIT: Don't quote me on this, but I believe if you have all your music on an external drive you can just copy the .nml (?) collection file from one to the other and it will update.
    yes and no, make sure both machines label the ext hdd with same letter (so nml file finds it easily), and in both traktors go to preferences and under data location, set the root directory to a folder on the ext hdd.

this way both will load all data from the ext drive and save to it to, and should keep both machines in perfect sync as they'll be using the same collection/playlist/mapping data and updating it all after each use.

edit; i run a dual boot with one set-up just for traktor and stripped down to bare essentials. also tweaked the shell program in registry to be traktor and not explorer.

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud