Soundcard : MAYA 44 USB - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I've just got one of these myself, and I'm finding that the sound quality of the outputs is nice and crisp....

... but because I'm mainly Shoutcast DJing (on a non-commercial Internet Radio station) and running Vista on my laptop, the shoutcast encoder doesn't detect any input from the analogue-in ports on the box. Oh well such is life - I can get by with the line-in on the laptop, so it's only a minor disappointment.
    Last edited by Draevyn; 07-03-2008 at 10:12 AM.

Default bad computer feedback noise

I’m getting a lot of noise through my laptop to the output of my Maya 44 USB. I know this because the noise changes when my hard drive spins and when I drag windows around my desktop. I am using windows xp pro.
    I’ve got the latest drivers, 2.8.11. I am using Virtual DJ, but this happens before and after I configure anything with either VDJ, ASIO4ALL, or the maya control panel. The problem is worse when I hook up my second turntable to 3,4.

For my setup I have two numark turntables connecting the output to inputs 1-4 on Maya. And the respecting outputs going to the tape inputs on my Behringer VMX200 mixer. Turntable one works with VDJ and I can hear music alright but it’s only covering up the noise coming from my computer. When I try to play music from Turntable 2 the noise is so bad it masks the music. I dont know what going on but this is big let down. I'm hoping it's just something with this usb card and not my laptop.

@Resonant Freq

I have the Maya 44 and don't have any of that kind of problem. I can hear the hard drive's sound thru the internal sound card in the laptop, but not from the maya 44. Are the turntables on your desk where the laptop is also? Just a guess, but are you sure that it isn't actually the turntables that capture the resonance of the hard disk? A bit of a long shot, but worth a try.

And does this happen with all the latency settings as well?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Resonant Freq View Post
    I’m getting a lot of noise through my laptop to the output of my Maya 44 USB. I know this because the noise changes when my hard drive spins and when I drag windows around my desktop. I am using windows xp pro.
    I’ve got the latest drivers, 2.8.11. I am using Virtual DJ, but this happens before and after I configure anything with either VDJ, ASIO4ALL, or the maya control panel. The problem is worse when I hook up my second turntable to 3,4.

For my setup I have two numark turntables connecting the output to inputs 1-4 on Maya. And the respecting outputs going to the tape inputs on my Behringer VMX200 mixer. Turntable one works with VDJ and I can hear music alright but it’s only covering up the noise coming from my computer. When I try to play music from Turntable 2 the noise is so bad it masks the music. I dont know what going on but this is big let down. I'm hoping it's just something with this usb card and not my laptop.
    check the latency of the sofware

Default Problem Found!

Alright I found the problem! I'm for sure getting dirty power from the wall - as soon as I unplug the power to run on batteries the noise goes away. For reference purposes I'm uploading a recording of that sound. In the recording you can hear me minimizing and maximizing windows, I wasn't able to capture the harddrive spinning but you get the idea.

I emailed ESI earlier and here's what they replied with for anyone else who's not having grounding issues:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Sean

There are a number of things that can create the problem you show
    and can be difficult to track down

However

Can you read through and try the below suggestions
    and re- check the use of the Maya 44 USB

(Please let me know any results you find)

.................................................. ......................................

a)
    when running a system for dedicated audio work

Disable/Stop any virus checkers/spyware/disk management software

You can always renable before going back to email and internet use
    .................................................. .............................

b)

Disable any on board sound device in the system bios

And onboard Lan in the bios

Also any WLan

(You can always re enable them later )

.................................................. .................................
    c)

Ty changing "power saving schemes" if possible
    And check if it makes a difference

Switch Off Power Schemes
    Start > Settings > Control Panel > Power Options > Always On > Turn off monitor and turn off hard discs and system standby to Never

.................................................. ..................................
    d)

You may also wish to try these tweaks

Set Processor scheduling to background services and not Programs
    Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance Settings > Advanced Tab > Background Services

Set Visual effects to a minimum.
    Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance Settings > Visual Effects Tab > Adjust for best performance

.................................................. ....................................

Also

If there is a problem with popping /hissing and noises etc when using a laptop
    Then If you disconnect the laptops PSU
    and run the laptop on battery power only
    And the noises disappear or reduce in any way?

This would relate to issues with the laptops PSU

The problem doe,s not relate to the audio device

You would need to connect and use a DI box or ground loop isolators
    between the outputs of the audio device and external monitor system/mixer etc
    to eliminate the problem

.................................................. ...........
    A common cause is.........
    This occurs with use of external audio devices when using a laptop with it's own PSU connected
    If the noises etc disappear or reduce when the Laptop is being used on battery power only
    It would relate to a grounding issue

You may wish to investigate and checkout information on the subject
    Such as information shown on the Sound on Sound forum
    That you may find of use
    http://www.soundonsound.com/
    In the drop down Forum menu select Go to Forum /Discussion Groups/PC Music
    Click on the subject "Click here if your laptop contains strange noise"
    Then click on the links in the page
    http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/sh...&Number=222392
    http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/sh...o=&fpart=1#317
    http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/sh...o=&fpart=1#318
    Last edited by Resonant Freq; 08-27-2008 at 08:21 PM. Reason: typo