Experiment #2: Cover Song Clearance
    Tech Convert

Default Experiment #2: Cover Song Clearance

You never know when you are going to hear that tune that is just begging for a redo. You'll stumble across a song and it can give you that great idea...the tune would be great dressed in the style of your brand of dance music. You want to take it in a different direction with your own version, but it wouldn't be the same without a major element of the original. Sound familiar? Well, you can sample it. Or...you can cover it.

So then what? The original idea may not have been yours, but you added originality with your version. You might also be exposing the original writer's material to a new audience. So how do you properly get yours while upholding artist integrity? Here's what I've learned:

1. To legitimately release the song, I must have a mechanical license.

2. Royalties must be paid to the writer(s).

3. I always wondered what publishers do, and handling licenses and getting royalties to copyright holders is part of it.

Obtaining a license and paying royalties is easy these days, now that there is a company called Limelight (http://www.songclearance.com). They find and contact the publisher for the track you submit and obtain the license. That seems like it could be expensive if you are covering a major artist right? It's not. $15, and they secure it for you within 10 days. Check it out.

THE TEST SUBJECT:

'Love Games' - Out this Valentine's Day (02.14.11)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ug2HWcNKQ8

Why do a cover? Maybe the more experimental tracks in your discography would enjoy more exposure if you pulled in fans with something they recognize, but it must be done with your unique zazz. Cover it. Thats what artists have been doing for years.

Hope this is informative or at least sparks an idea. To see Experiment #1:

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...231#post180231

Really enjoyed both experiments (I had already seen #1) Great info for all. Thanks!

Edit: Cover song clearance. So most of what I hated on was due to a misunderstanding. But I am still skeptical about $15 licenses...
    Stanton t.52, Staton t.62, Stanton m.212 mixer, Akai MPD24, Akai MPK25, TSP, MIDI Fighter

Thanks for sharing man!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Convert

Anytime ya'll! Happy to spread the knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Sano Insano View Post
    Edit: Cover song clearance. So most of what I hated on was due to a misunderstanding. But I am still skeptical about $15 licenses...
    Interestingly enough Sano, before I found this service, I contacted the artist's manager to inquire about licensing. I figured it was a longshot and didn't expect a reply. Then I found Limelight and figured I might as well try it out. From my research, I thought the publisher was BBC UK and that is what I entered in my Limelight submission. Limelight found the publisher to be a company called Manners McDade & McCleery, and secured my mechanical license them. For what it's worth, the artist's manager eventually got back to me and had forwarded my message to the proper publisher, Manners McDade & McCleery. This doesn't prove anything, but it makes me feel good knowing the facts match up.

Limelight is backed by Rightsflow, a licensing company that has been around for much longer. And thinking logically, I figure that making it easy to get licensing is only beneficial for everyone in the long-run. It's natural to be skeptical in the music business, a social survival instinct. But things are changing rapidly to the benefit of artists, so get ready to plunge if the time seems right for you.

In any case, this is an experiment. And I'm happy to be the guinea pig! If I get sued for this, I'll let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by tekki View Post
    thanks for sharing man!
    + 1 :d
    Dj F.a.R.h.A.n
    hip hop, house, reggaeton, dancehall, afrobeats, and international.

Tech Convert

OUT NOW on iTunes, [ame=http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_srch_drd_B002OK86V4?ie=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=digital-music&field-keywords=Ori%20Kawa]Amazon[/ame], and [ame=http://www.orikawa.com]orikawa.com[/ame]!