Custom MIDI Controller - School Project
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Default Custom MIDI Controller - School Project

Hey guys, first time post in these modding forums, but long time reader.

Basically, for a school systems project I've decided to make a MIDI controller.
    The design takes quite a few cues from the custom wooden Midi Fighter that can be seen on the front page.

Before getting started, I need a bit of help regarding the 'brain'. I believe I have decided upon an HID interface with a signal conversion software, as MIDI interfaces were out of my budget (around $120 or so.) For the HID interface I was thinking of either a U-HID (less money to spend on other components but lots of inputs) or linking together xbox controllers (about 3 or so.) Only problem with the latter option is I'm not quite sure how to do it!

If anyone could give me some advice I would be very appreciate, and I'll be sure to give you a mention in my resources

Also, I was thinking of using a combination of the Monome-esque buttons that Sparkfun sell (http://www.sparkfun.com/products/7835) in combination with the Sanwa arcade buttons. If anybody could give me some advice about making the contacts for the button pad, that would be great!

Thanks for reading this rather long post, and if you're interested I could do a pretty in depth (albeit long) build log, which would probably make for a good folio anyway!

Cheers!

i am working on a project sismilar to this but its not for school lol. i just put a powered usb hub inside my box and soldired the ontacts from the game pad to where the female usb socket solders onto the board. good luck

Banned

Having read threads on using xbox PCBs in the past, it seems that there are 2 USB ports already on there, so you just solder any extra controllers in series(?).

I was also thinking about an Arduino board, and I've done a bit of coding so anything that needs to be done shouldn't be an issue.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by coolmatic View Post
    If anybody could give me some advice about making the contacts for the button pad, that would be great!

You mean these contacts?

Banned

I have indeed seen those, but I was wondering if it was possible to do with a breadboard and some wire or something? I have seen it done like that before, but thought somebody on here may be able to shed some light.

I would prefer be able to do it myself and take a bit longer than be spending $15AUD that could be used on other components!

Quote Originally Posted by coolmatic View Post
    ... I was thinking of either a U-HID (less money to spend on other components but lots of inputs) or linking together xbox controllers (about 3 or so.) Only problem with the latter option is I'm not quite sure how to do it!...

check out this link mate it will help you alot with linking controllers and everything else related to it (soldering,pcb,etc...)
    http://slagcoin.com/joystick/pcb_wir...PCB_ATTRIBUTES

yet i recommend using a pcb like arduino or u-hid since linking multiple controllers is known for major issues of interfering signals

or u can simply use multiple usb controllers/keyboards or whatever goes tru your mind and plug them all into a powered usb hub then translate the signals to midi (using translation programs like glovepie) and use them with the program of ur choice and its the cheapest way out there specially if u are a person like me who prefers using whats laid around instead of buying new items
    What Do You Call a Half Angel Half Devil ? ... a DJ !

Software: Traktor S4, Ableton Live 8, Windows 7
    Hardware: Traktor Kontrol S4, HDJ1000,PC i7 4gb ram, WD external 1tb, Akai APC 40 (soon), 2x Technics SL-1210M5G

Midi Fighter is open source, that should be enough to get you started at a minimum cost. Source code is pretty well documented, schematic is well done too.

There's also the Microchip's Framework. It has some USB MIDI code examples in.

my 2 cents.

Banned

Thanks very much for input guys. Have the class tomorrow so will run by teacher and see what he thinks.

Tech Mentor

when it comes to the buttons you have selected, I feel that it would be a little difficult to use them on a breadboard, since the actual electrical 'switch' is part of the breakout board I linked to, you would have to create something similar on a breadboard, and that is just not that easy

There's quite few tact switch model available, so its not a problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast